WCCCA on older non-rebandable trunking scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

r4224

Administrator: If you can delete my previous post, that's fine.
(My first few posts here have to be moderated, so I can't delete the first one...)

I studied the channels related to rebanding a bit further and believe I figured it out. From what I understand the following sites in WCCCA have these "dead" frequencies as far as trunking is concerned on older non-rebandable scanners:

Washington Co.: 852.7000
Clackamas Co.: 851.3000, 851.8500
Goat Mountain: (all ok since using "old" NPSPAC?)
Western Washington Co: 851.8750, 852.6250, 853.8750

Can someone please let me know if I have this right or not?

Regards,
Robert

DickH

Administrator: If you can delete my previous post, that's fine.
(My first few posts here have to be moderated, so I can't delete the first one...)

I studied the channels related to rebanding a bit further and believe I figured it out. From what I understand the following sites in WCCCA have these "dead" frequencies as far as trunking is concerned on older non-rebandable scanners:

Washington Co.: 852.7000
Clackamas Co.: 851.3000, 851.8500
Goat Mountain: (all ok since using "old" NPSPAC?)
Western Washington Co: 851.8750, 852.6250, 853.8750

Can someone please let me know if I have this right or not?

Yes, that's partly right. Any freq. with a zero in the 4th decimal place (like 851.4500) can not be tracked by older scanners. It is still possible to hear them as conventional freqs. (not trunked).
I have just been experimenting with a PRO-528. I had hoped that by putting in the control channels as MOT, then the "zero" freqs. as conventional it would still work OK. I found with the PRO-528, I need to put in ALL the trunk system freqs., then the "zero" freqs. as conventional.
Other models may work differently.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Any freq. with a zero in the 4th decimal place (like 851.4500) can not be tracked by older scanners.
The above statement would be correct if it also indicated on REBANDED MOTOROLA TYPE trunked radio systems.

If the TRS is EDACS or LTR, just program in the new frequency. If the TRS is Motorola but not rebanded, there are many frequencies with a 0 in the 4th position after the decimal point which older scanners will properly track.

Here is a chart I posted some time ago.

DickH

The above statement would be correct if it also indicated on REBANDED MOTOROLA TYPE trunked radio systems.

If the TRS is EDACS or LTR, just program in the new frequency. If the TRS is Motorola but not rebanded, there are many frequencies with a 0 in the 4th position after the decimal point which older scanners will properly track.

Here is a chart I posted some time ago.

If you lived in the Portland area you would know all our public safety systems are Motorola and have been rebanded.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It is only a problem if Motorola, rebanded and 8xx.xxx0 MHz

If you lived in the Portland area you would know all our public safety systems are Motorola and have been rebanded.
1. I have lots of family in the Portland/Vancouver area and visit there often.

2. There are plenty of non-Motorola trunked radio systems in that area. Check the bottom of the page here for a list.

3. The bigger problem I see here is that some people with older scanners will read "Any freq. with a zero in the 4th decimal place (like 851.4500) can not be tracked by older scanners." and think that their scanner will not work. There are a specific set of requirements which must be met for a scanner not to trunk track a (rebanded) system. One additional point is that there are systems which have frequencies in the format of 8xx.xxx0 MHz which can be tracked, just not if they are both Motorola and rebanded.

DickH

... There are plenty of non-Motorola trunked radio systems in that area. ...

Yes there are, but we were discussing Public Safety Motorola trunked systems and the 4 counties in the Portland area; Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington and Clark county, WA.
My Motorola MTS2000 has all the fire talk groups for all 4 counties plus the airport and the Simplex and Interop freqs.; National, Oregon and Washington.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Yes there are, but we were discussing Public Safety Motorola trunked systems and the 4 counties in the Portland area; Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington and Clark county, WA.
My Motorola MTS2000 has all the fire talk groups for all 4 counties plus the airport and the Simplex and Interop freqs.; National, Oregon and Washington.

Are you a registered user? Or did you just program it?

DickH

Are you a registered user? Or did you just program it?

Registered user. It's my understanding that it is not possible to "just program" a system radio without the correct key. Even if you somehow manage to do it, every time a radio is turned on, the 6-digit I.D. shows up in the data stream and on the dispatcher's screen.
If you run TRUNK88 you can see all that data. And every time you change channels, it shows up again with the talk group it's on.

Last edited:

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Registered user. It's my understanding that it is not possible to "just program" a system radio without the correct key. Even if you somehow manage to do it, every time a radio is turned on, the 6-digit I.D. shows up in the data stream and on the dispatcher's screen.
If you run TRUNK88 you can see all that data. And every time you change channels, it shows up again with the talk group it's on.

Ah well there are lab versions of cps i beleive that let you program without the system key, and if you did manage to get it programmed.. the dispatcher would see it, but would they even bother wasting time calling radio shop and getting it removed. as long as your not txing and causing trouble i dont think they would care.

DickH

... as long as your not txing and causing trouble i dont think they would care.

I wouldn't chance it as the penalties are severe. Also, I don't know the inner workings at BOEC, but there is likely someone tucked away somewhere analyzing the system every day for obscure things like that. Good old Bureaucracy. :)

DickH

Also, I believe they have the capability of disabling a radio.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't chance it as the penalties are severe. Also, I don't know the inner workings at BOEC, but there is likely someone tucked away somewhere analyzing the system every day for obscure things like that. Good old Bureaucracy. :)

Oh I know, I wouldnt try it, I was just suggesting that they might not care, but like you said they probably do have someone in that back room somewhere checking the system constantly.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Also, I believe they have the capability of disabling a radio.

They do. And, yes, they do have someone tucked away in a back room. Not sure how tediously they review system data, but they are a Godsend when we need 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.