We knew it was coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazcop

Got this from my OEM today, we need it!!!!

DENVER) * Gov. Bill Owens announced today that he has banned open burning and fireworks on all state lands in Colorado. This includes all state parks and forests. The order is effective immediately.

"The hot, dry conditions increase the potential for a major fire every day. As the July 4th holiday approaches, more people will be streaming into our parks and forests making it imperative that we take all possible precautions," Owens said.

The ban on open burning on state land, contained in an Executive Order, includes campfires, warming fires, charcoal grill fires, fireworks and "any other activity that poses a significant risk of starting a fire." The ban does not include permanent fire structures that have been built to diminish the risk of wildfires.

At a news conference at the State Capitol, Owens asked cities and counties to consider similar bans as needed in their jurisdictions. In a letter sent to county commissioners and municipal officials, the Governor stated, "I am strongly encouraging local governments to closely examine the fire danger in your jurisdictions. Following that evaluation, I urge you to implement bans that are reasonably necessary in light of your local fire threat."

Owens pointed out that while he has the authority to issue a statewide fire ban, municipalities and counties are in the best position to implement and enforce such bans since local governments can impose civil and criminal
penalties for violations.

The Governor also stressed that under a state law passed in 2002, local governments have broad authority to restrict or ban the use of fireworks. "Even seemingly tame fireworks, like sparklers and fountains, pose a significant threat. That is why I strongly encourage local governments to work together to impose consistent fireworks restrictions that are appropriate for the fire danger in each region," Owens said.

Owens also detailed the fire fighting resources currently available in Colorado. State equipment includes three Single Engine Air Tankers specifically under contract to Colorado and 17 specially-equipped fire trucks operated by state and local crews and pre-positioned where needed. Owens funded the operation of the state equipment under an Executive Order signed in April which made $2 million available for fire suppression activities.

Federal assets within Colorado include two heavy air tankers, five single engine air tankers, 11 helicopters, six aerial attack coordination aircraft and a smokejumper aircraft. Colorado has the ability to access additional federal equipment under the Cooperative Fire Management Agreement between
Colorado and federal agencies.

The Governor also directed the state's National Guard to prepare its helicopters that are equipped to fight wildfires to be ready for immediate activation. The Guard currently has four helicopters available, including a Blackhawk and three Hueys.

Owens reminded Coloradans that at a special session of the legislature in 2002, state laws concerning wildfires were severely strengthened. The tougher laws include:

. Increased criminal penalties of up to 12 years in jail and a
$750,000 fine for setting a wildfire.
. A tripling of civil damages that can be sought from someone who
starts a wildfire.
. Making it a crime to toss a burning object, such as a cigarette,
from a motor vehicle.

"We all must be vigilant," Owens said. "If you're in one of our parched, dry areas, take a moment to think of the terrible consequences that can result from just one careless act. Obey the fire bans and obey the laws."

According to the Rocky Mountain Coordination Center, 576 wildfires have already burned over 80,000 acres in Colorado this year, over twice the acreage that was reported burned in all of 2005.

cstockmyer

lol I never thought I'd live in a world that you can buy a gun at Kmart, yet we have to hide fireworks. It is scary how dry things are though, it would not take much to catch a house on fire. I'd hope they add arson as a charge if they do though.

funcritter

Well I don't blame then for banning fireworks, on the news they said this is the driest we have been since 2002 when we had all the forest fires. Remember how no matter where you went in the city, you could see ashes falling all over almost the whole summer.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
What gets me is we are seeing the usual fireworks stands starting to set up shop even though it's illegal as hell to have them yet the towns, cities, etc politicos act all surprised when someone ends up severely injured or burns down something or starts a major wildland fire.

It's starting out to be a mean season for firefighters.

Phil.

cstockmyer

funcritter said:
Well I don't blame then for banning fireworks, on the news they said this is the driest we have been since 2002 when we had all the forest fires. Remember how no matter where you went in the city, you could see ashes falling all over almost the whole summer.

Do you remember the Hayman-bad sp- fire? The ash we had falling like snow then? That was weird. I hope people listen to the fire ban, with as dry as things are down here and up in the mountains.

I wonder is CSP has stepped up it's patrols of I-25 between the fort and WY? Anyone heard about that? People go up there to get the "good stuff", I know last year it was in the news that they had, and where busting people right and left coming back from the firework stands up there.

Also does anyone know if the professional shows are still ok? Like Fiddlers green, now Coors something? Or the Rockies?? Englewood I know had a big firework show down south. Did they make it so thoes can't be done too??

I kid you not, a guy on a motorcycle I was following in Evergreen tossed a smoke the other day, not to mention the ashes before that along the road. It was the one time I wished my brakes had failed. The last thing to go through his mind would have been my radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.