We May Be In Trouble..They're Onto Us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_White

And, I have always thought “guest” access
should be limited to the tavern…
Every time I look, members are out numbered by guests 4/5/6 to one:
Currently Active Users: 831 (171 members and 660 guests)

JamesPrine

I've been in law enforcement for well over 30 years, and in my experience, scanner listeners are more of an asset than a detriment in police work. Besides, If I have something important to say, and don't want it broadcast, I just use my cellphone.

And there's no law against broadcasting 10-20s, etc., that aren't exactly precisely correct <g>.

ibagli

And, I have always thought &#8220;guest&#8221; access
should be limited to the tavern&#8230;

Since it's trivial to register for an account, I don't think that would provide any meaningful layer of security. (It would also prevent the forums from being indexed by Google, which can sometimes be a more efficient way of searching for a topic than the vBulletin search feature.)

bezking

I like the cop they interviewed with the 7/800 XTS5000, all I could pay attention to was that bent up antenna... :lol:

Costly to "scramble"? ADP crypto costs $15 per radio when bought new. It's not price that's the problem...

scanchs

Interesting...

These cops need to get out more! :roll:

Actually, I was thinking the local media there needs to get out more (must be a slow news day!)... :confused:

So, you're suggesting that guests should be blocked from reading the forums so they won't know what's going on? That sounds like the same thing the cops want to do to us scanner listeners (block us out (i.e., encrypt) so we won't know what's going on). It's kinda scary how we're all beginning to think along the same lines... ;)

ScanCHS

DPD1

Not good... Whether it's a legitimate concern or not, the perception by them is that it is... and that's all that matters. It could easily have an adverse effect on the hobby. This is something that I have been worried about for sometime now.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber

A lot of the "guests" are probably members who are reading the forums without logging in. I wonder how many members log in every time they visit the forums. I usually only log in when replying to a post or checking Database updates. :cool:

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
im always logged in or i log in everytime..........but o well.....be nice to your guest remember......thats why you have some encrypted channels if your that worried about the high risk criminals or cell idk

VE3RADIO

There is usually a long enough delay when streaming that it does not really become a factor.. I know some kids up here were robbing a house and using the iphone scanner app to listen for the police and well.. by time they heard the dispatch Toronto Police was at the door.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Just let them keep thinking that it's "costly".

"heavy scanner radios"???? My 396xt is pretty dang light and not much bigger than my iphone(excluding antenna), once again, let them believe what they want.

I am not quite sure how i feel about online scanner feeds. I PERSONALLY think it makes it too accessible.

VE3RADIO

Just let them keep thinking that it's "costly".

"heavy scanner radios"???? My 396xt is pretty dang light and not much bigger than my iphone(excluding antenna), once again, let them believe what they want.

I am not quite sure how i feel about online scanner feeds. I PERSONALLY think it makes it too accessible.

Agreed! it makes it way to easy for anyone.. i would be pissed too if I was the police.. I know for a fact the cops around here don't mind scanner folk at all.. they dont even mind the guys running commercial gear.. they do however not like the iphone app as it brings things to a new level.. anyone and everyone.. no skills needed to program etc.. this is one reason they may encrypt.. and for one I have a lot of money in my equipment and would be pissed if they all started encrypting because of some stupid kids with iphones.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I like the cop they interviewed with the 7/800 XTS5000, all I could pay attention to was that bent up antenna... :lol:

Costly to "scramble"? ADP crypto costs $15 per radio when bought new. It's not price that's the problem...

Thank you. The real problem here is equipment management.

Status
Not open for further replies.