We Need A "POWER" Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2ns

I had a couple of questions about batteries & battery chargers today, and had no place to post them. I put 1 in the Uniden forum and another in the General Scanning Forum. I think a new "Topic Specific Forum" named "Power**Batteries & Chargers" should be formed for the discussion of this topic.

Thanks,

RON

k2ns

*** Power ****

Good site for info, but no way to start a discussion about batteries, chargers, etc.

Thanks,

RON

Last edited:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Good site for info, but no way to start a discussion about batteries, chargers, etc.

Thanks,

RON

Hi Ron,
The general discussion forum is just fine. There has been numerous discussions about batteries and such on that forum.
Take care

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I agree that a "Power Sources" forum would be a good idea. In addition to batteries and chargers, things like power supplies, cords, adapters, etc could be covered as well.

jon_k

Why not a coax forum as well. And how about an amateur radio forum as well. Aren't several members here also radio operators? Why leave us in the dark?

This site wasn't made for batteries, amateur radio, or coax talk. Scanner talk and locale frequency discussion only. I think Lindsay has tried to keep it that way. I more or less agree. If batteries are so important to need a forum, then someone needs to start battery-talk.com. That's why I think these other topics fail to get recognition here.

I'm sure if Lindsay asked -- we'd get 20-30 suggestions for new forums. But that would create redundancy, clutter, and confusion and offset the primary goal of the site. Lets keep it simple.

However if a battery forum is made, it would be ashame to do that and yet not make an amateur forum. QRZ has negativity and eHam is low traffic.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Great idea

I can see a "power" forum perhaps as being too specific. How about a "scanner accessory" forum? While there have been discussions regarding batteries, chargers, etc in the "General Scanning" forum, there have also been some in the wasteland and other places. It would be nice to have a place where this scanning/radio-related discussion can clearly be found.

As for a "coax" forum, that is clearly part of antennas and antenna systems. Just as batteries, chargers and other means of powering radios (including solar) would be in this new forum.

EDIT: I just tried some sample searches for "Battery" & "Batteries", even excluding For Sale/etc forums, I get over 20 pages of results for each search. Info is scattered all over.

Last edited:

ka5lqj

Batteries....Power Sources......

Hi,

If you hook your 6 volt scanner (4-1.5vdc) to a 12 vdc source, do you hear TWICE as far? LOL!

I would think the General Forum would be the place to discuss anything else related to radio,
commuincations, or within that realm. OR, maybe the RR Tavern. Liindsay pretty well has a lot
of things already covered and he and the volunteer moderators have enough to do for no pay.

This is just MY 2¢. Your mileage may vary, includes tax, title, and insurance. Guaranteee 90
days or 90 feet, which ever comes first. Not valid in MS, OK, WY, ID, or CA. Keep refridgerated.
Faster than a =speeding bullet, able to stop speeding locomotives with my bare hands, able to
leap over tall building with a single bound. Out of the dust comes a speeding, firey horse and
with a hearty "HI HO SILVER..away!", it's the LONE RANGER! Broadcasting LIVE and in LIVING
color, from the "Crystal Ballroom", high atop the beautiful Miller's' hotel, Downtown Cedar Grove,
LA.....

Respectfully,

Don/KA5LQJ

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So what you're saying is that we shouldn't have a Forum forum for people who have questions about the forums?
Hmmm...Isn't that what this forum is for?
Administration, Suggestions, and Site Help The place to discuss administration related issues, including feature requests, help on using site features and functionality, and reporting bugs. News updates regarding rollouts of features, and status reports of problems will be posted here by the administration staff.

jon_k

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't have a Forum forum for people who have questions about the forums?

-AZ

Most forums have a forum dedicated to "Site issues, suggestions, forum help?" as it's sort of an internal affairs thing.

I'm thinking we don't need a forum for lots of additional things outside of the scanner world. Site owners don't want to drift too far off from the goals of the site.

Why have a Politics, Rumors, Batteries, Coax Talk, Amateur Radio, etc etc etc etc forums? Too many items to list could be added here.

Status
Not open for further replies.