Weak Air Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Is it normal for the 536 to have mediocre reception on the air band? I'm only a mile from the airport and I don't get a real strong signal using a telescoping antenna. In the basement it's worse of course. Older scanners do better. Anything I can do?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is it normal for the 536 to have mediocre reception on the air band? I'm only a mile from the airport and I don't get a real strong signal using a telescoping antenna. In the basement it's worse of course. Older scanners do better. Anything I can do?

The stock supplied telescoping antenna antenna is a poor choice for the aircraft band. Mostly because it's indoors and at ground level. In addition to getting a better antenna you need to locate it outside your home and at some altitude if possible. Attic mount might be adequate, but preferable on a ten foot mast on the roof.

I don't think any of the digital scanners perform on analog as well as the older analog-only scanners. It's possible manufactures are concentrating on optimizing the digital circuitry, and improving functions, features and better displays and no so much on the analog bands.

If you're in close proximity to any strong FM broadcast stations they might be saturating the front end of your scanner with interference desensitizing it. This is a common problem with the aircraft band even though it's AM not FM. If you suspect this may be the problem, considering getting a FM-Notch filter.

Par VHF-FM

Another filter to consider is the the Par VHFBP:

"The Par VHFBP is a special bandpass filter designed for the VHF aero band listener. It passes the VHF civil aeronautical band 116 to 134 MHz and blocks other frequencies. Unlike other aerocom bandpass filters, the VHF-BP not only provides protection from VHF pagers, NOAA, 2 meter amateur signals etc., but also offers excellent attenuation of the FM broadcast band - the primary offender of aerocom signals. BNC female input and BNC male output."

If aircraft is your main interest I suggest a Uniden BCT15X base/mobile (street price around $175), or the BC125AT hand-held (street price around $115) They both work exceptionally well.

Ubbe

I belive every airport with commercial aircrafts sends ATIS information on a frequency. Dial that in and adjust the telescopes angle and lenght to best reception.

I have several scanners in parallell, connected to a splitter with a common antenna and I see no real difference between any scanner. But I use FM trapfilter. Follow iMonitor's advice about filters and outside antenna and so on if reception isn't satisfactory.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.