Weak receive on 996t - help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabikemike

I just purchased a used 996t and it has very weak receive. Local freqs that usually show full signal strength only show 1 bar on the s-meter and the receive is scratchy.
The attenuator is not turned on. I did a factory memory reset with no help.
It will not receive anything with the telescopic antenna in the house. Only works with the outside Comet GP9 antenna. My other scanners receive fine in the house with the telescopic antenna.

Any recommendations?

Is there a total reset that clears everything to factory? Should I upgrade the firmware?

The person who sold it to me Tyler Chutz tchutz@cox.net said it was working when shipped and he does not take returns. I tried to resolve through Paypal but they were no help.

I guess worst case would be to send it to Uniden for repair?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Have you tried any different antennas? What antenna are you using now? Have you tried using the scanner in various locations in your house?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried any different antennas? What antenna are you using now? Have you tried using the scanner in various locations in your house?
Most comments and my personal experience is that this scanner is less sensitive than many other scanners. I would say you will have to stick with your outside antenna or even get a better one or put it up higher. I only use mine in my car and had to do a lot of fiddling to get an antenna that works well compared to my 296 that will practically work with a paper-clip.

kinfolk

Sounds to me like the scanner is not working properly for sure. I have a 996 along with two BC15s and a 796D. The 996 receives as well as the rest of them no matter what antenna it is hooked to.. Rather than waste money trying antenna solutions, I would suggest shipping it to Uniden for repair.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
what frequency range are u trying to get? 800mhz 140mhz?

As others have noted the 396/996 are quite deaf on UHF (lower frequencies i.e. 140) (they dont pick up much with the standard antenna). But connecting a proper antenna for that range improves them dramatically.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Any chance that Tyler's a ham?

If he is, then there's a good chance he blew out the front end by placing a transmit antenna near the scanner's antenna.

I blew the front end out of my 396 by placing the antennas too close together on the roof of my truck.

slicerwizard

So you can imagine how I felt when he who shall remain nameless tested my 396's Close Call function by making antenna to antenna contact with his HT.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
So you can imagine how I felt when he who shall remain nameless tested my 396's Close Call function by making antenna to antenna contact with his HT.
I for sure do not know everything about radios but I think that was the first thing I learned when I was around 7yrs old with a pair of little walkie talkies with the telescopic antennas. We touched them together and the most awful squeal emitted from them, without the mic keyed or anything. That meant it was a bad thing to do that!!!:eek::roll::lol:

N9WP

Any chance that Tyler's a ham?

If he is, then there's a good chance he blew out the front end by placing a transmit antenna near the scanner's antenna.

I blew the front end out of my 396 by placing the antennas too close together on the roof of my truck.

I did the same exact thing with my 396, after I did it, it was like the attenuator was on for everything in the 396 even though it was off. Sent it to Uniden for repair and then all was fine again.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I did the same exact thing with my 396, after I did it, it was like the attenuator was on for everything in the 396 even though it was off. Sent it to Uniden for repair and then all was fine again.

Same exact thing happened to my 996. It was fine with 50 Watts, but 110 blew the front end out. I thought I was on 50 and was talking away. Then after I finished, the 996 was completely deaf. The only way I could get anything was to TX from less than 10 feet. Any more than that and it was deaf.

Sent it back to Uniden and it's all well again. It did take a while for them to get it back to me, but that's another story.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
what frequency range are u trying to get? 800mhz 140mhz?

As others have noted the 396/996 are quite deaf on UHF (lower frequencies i.e. 140) (they dont pick up much with the standard antenna). But connecting a proper antenna for that range improves them dramatically.

I can't agree on this as my 996 is as good or better than anything i have ever hooked up..And no intermod compared to others and to the problem at hand sounds like pin diodes are shorted..

W3DMV

Lo Sensitivity

Sounds like the front end is blown. Very common problem when the scanner gets too much RF from
a close transmitter.

See if you can find a local two-way radio shop in your area. They can easly measure your receiver
with a service monitor and determine if the front end is dead.

I have three 996's and they all measure <.2mV sensitivity on UHF, which is excellant. Don't understand
why so many guys have negative comments regarding sensitivity on their scanners.

Good luck..

megabikemike

996t problem

The problem has been found and fixed. The jumper running from the BNC connector to the circuit board had a broken center conductor. The radio now receives great.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.