Weak signal on NTIRN (Tarrant Co. TX) control channel

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else receiving a continuous weak signal on NTIRN control channel 858.1375 Mhz. In the past this had been the main control channel for Layer 2 (FW Fire etc.)

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Shortly after I posted this the signal stopped, not sure if it was a failure of the transmitter PA or what the problem was. I'll try to listen off and on to see if it returns.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed my Unication G4/5s going out of range occasionally recently. It's often around Chick-Fil-A (Hwy 26 in Hurst), as well as Bedford Rd & Brown Tr. as well as work. I thought the work one might be related to new stuff on the tower there, but maybe there's something else going on.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If your G4 goes out of service around 1 or 2 particular places and its not a wide area, its likely cellular interference.. Think Verizon 700mhz as i have a similar issue in Dallas near a Whataburger which has a cell site close to it.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Glad it's just not me. I've had a very reliable antenna setup, that feeds a BCD996XT, and have rarely had simulcast problems on Layer 2. But just in the last couple weeks, it has been horrible. I was thinking maybe a 5g tower went on line near me, even thought a new usb hub I bought was putting out too much RFI. The weather was also a thought. Let's hope it's something they can diagnose and fix.

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed my Unication G4/5s going out of range occasionally recently. It's often around Chick-Fil-A (Hwy 26 in Hurst), as well as Bedford Rd & Brown Tr. as well as work. I thought the work one might be related to new stuff on the tower there, but maybe there's something else going on.
Ben, any problems near Central and Airport Fwy? I lose Sirius radio signals there.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Ben, any problems near Central and Airport Fwy? I lose Sirius radio signals there.

Yeah, I was thinking the Chick-Fil-A there too. Like IAmSixNine said, it's probably cell and maybe 5G related. That or this freaking non-stop wind. :)

6520tkp

Anyone else receiving a continuous weak signal on NTIRN control channel 858.1375 Mhz. In the past this had been the main control channel for Layer 2 (FW Fire etc.)

I turned my scanner on for the first time in awhile, not receiving, only a quick flash of a full scale signal bar ocassionaly.

i turned my scanner on after 2 NRH medics and a engine flew by with police behind them.
i know there was actvity but could here any traffic. still can not.

sounds like im not the only having problems.

6520tkp

I turned my scanner on for the first time in awhile, not receiving, only a quick flash of a full scale signal bar ocassionaly.

i turned my scanner on after 2 NRH medics and a engine flew by with police behind them.
i know there was actvity but could here any traffic. still can not.

sounds like im not the only having problems.

I am receiving as of this morning.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
I am in Keller area and we are seemingly seeing what we suspect is 5G interference perhaps?

Have not confirmed, but since the 5G local mini towers started popping in the area we also have seen some interference on the 800 Mhz Public Safety band in general at times with occasional "drop outs" of the signals when using a base station antenna at ~20'.... However, with just a rubber duck 800 Mhz antenna its less noticeable...No idea if related but seems more frequent since early spring time frame.

Scanner is an Uniden SDS 200.

This apparent interference along with the Simulcast challenges makes for interesting challenges..

6520tkp

I am in Keller area and we are seemingly seeing what we suspect is 5G interference perhaps?

Have not confirmed, but since the 5G local mini towers started popping in the area we also have seen some interference on the 800 Mhz Public Safety band in general at times with occasional "drop outs" of the signals when using a base station antenna at ~20'.... However, with just a rubber duck 800 Mhz antenna its less noticeable...No idea if related but seems more frequent since early spring time frame.

Scanner is an Uniden SDS 200.

This apparent interference along with the Simulcast challenges makes for interesting challenges..
Thank you for the reply.
You answered my next question also about simulcasting,
Evidently the new uniden scanners are not the answer to the problem.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
In my view the Uniden 100 / 200 series does much better than the prior Uniden models. Its all about your individual setup in location, antenna(s), coax and local RFI...etc..prior to getting the SDS 100 I had marginal, at best, reception at times.

As noted above, using the various filters and attenuation (in some cases) can help sometimes with the simulcasting issues.

If I only was listening to the P25 (NE Tarrant) I might consider using a YAGI Antenna perhaps to try to get the strongest signal to the tower closest to my location...

So, I do think overall the SDS 100 is just fine for what I need as I use for MIL-Air and other non-P25 stuff...On P25 I typically lock the SYSTEM on NE Tarrant (Site 3) and that is best at my location, just as one example as the strongest signal and almost no issues using the Remtronix REM-800B Antenna inside my station.

jason51

There was a problem on layer 2 with programming that Motorola had done At a site. That is what caused the issues last month. They have been resolved however there are still some low signals on the radios in the NW side of Tarrant county. So I assume that Moto is still out programming sites. Very interesting on some of the reply’s here, it has nothing to do at all with 5G

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
To add some info. In the past few months I had to go to DFW airport 2 times, Bedford and up near Lake worth. I had my equipment with me to scan and my SDS100 had no issues on the system. BUT it took some time to get it that way. Stock everything its not that great. I have the RS 800 antenna on it, I also set each site (Irving, Layer 1, Layer 2, Arlington, GP and so on) set up as its own system with scan lists. So when i am going thru say Irving i am on that 2-1 site and only passing audio for stuff on it. Same with Layer 1 and Layer 2.
Each system on my scanner (1-1 or 1-2 or 2-1 on the entire system) has been set up with its own filters. These adjustments made a huge difference in performance. Maybe not the best explanation of my set up but tweaking it has made it a very reliable device for me.

AA5ST

Could this be the new site they are supposed to put up on the 190 foot tower behind the new Azle Police Dept. In Azle (see Fort Worth's license WQQV529)

No control channel yet.

Michael Stuart - AA5ST
Azle Texas - Parker County

Michaelbeard

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly on topic, but it looks like another transmitter site is in the works for Fort Worth according to a city council agenda item.
New N/NW transmitter site
That has a lot to do with the expansion of Fort Worth into nw tarrant up to the wise county line and also haslet becoming part of Fort Worth dispatches like lake worth and Saginaw.