Weaker Output

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trunkerman63

I was just thinking about the problem of being unable to get either Nolan or Shackelford Counties, how weak Callahan Co. has been for so long, nothing fixed or repaired about it. The times even here in Abilene, Taylor Co. SO will fade out if weather is cloudy or changing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the counties have all decreased their power to prevent interferrence with each other with the transition over to digital? I checked with a local TV station anchor and he emailed that they are receiving Nolan and Shackelford okay. But they do have tall outside scanner antennas. Ever since I moved back to Abilene with my wife in '01, I was always able to receive Nolan Co. no matter where we lived. Now, I never hear it regardless of my location. Adding all this up, it led me to think maybe they have all gone low power to reduce bleedover and interference. May be wrong, but something just isn't what it used to be. A radio as sensitive as the 600 with the Diamond antenna, should be able to get those counties I have always heard. But even Baird is so weak some nights, it isn't readable. Most nights it is readable. I think they've all gone low power... period. If I'm wrong, I just am I guess.

T

trunkerman63

As far as now being able to get the DPS, seldom though they talk, and a small trickle of other digital stuff like Dyess, and better reception of my pre-existing channels, the radio is great. But for being unable to get neighboring counties, and just one very fuzzy, I hate to say it has been a major disappointment.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Digital systems do use less TX power. These systems are designed to operate "within" their coverage area. They are not intended to transmit signals outside their coverage area, such as, to scanners in other counties. The FCC now requires stations to use only enough power which is needed to operate within their coverage area.

Last edited:
T

trunkerman63

Thanks! I really learned something, but I was almost certain that may be the case.
I appreciate that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.