Sentinel: Weather Alert Codes in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam65255

Premium Subscriber
My location can pick up 7 different Weather Radio sites, so I've set the others to Avoid. This was annoying when in scan mode as it would go from one to the next if I hit the temporary avoid button. I would like to set the remaining closest site so that it will alert for SVR, TOA, SVA and WSW. Where is this done when using Sentinel? I do not want to listen to the weather unless there is a warning. I typically know when it's hot, cold or raining. Any assistance is appreciated

Sam65255

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. The manual does talk about FIPS codes, but it does not talk about Sentinel and putting codes in the desktop program and then downloading to the radio. Also, I know the FIPS code for my county, but I don't know how to have it immediately give priority to a weather alert such as a tornado warning/watch. I want the scanner to routinely broadcast police & fire calls, ambulance runs etc. until there is a weather alert. The weather alert should have priority over all else.

omlbed

Premium Subscriber
Open Sentinel, click on Edit, then chose the WX tab. After you make your changes write it to your scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. The manual does talk about FIPS codes, but it does not talk about Sentinel and putting codes in the desktop program and then downloading to the radio. Also, I know the FIPS code for my county, but I don't know how to have it immediately give priority to a weather alert such as a tornado warning/watch. I want the scanner to routinely broadcast police & fire calls, ambulance runs etc. until there is a weather alert. The weather alert should have priority over all else.
You can set "Weather Priority" so that the scanner will check for alerts at the interval you select. But that is only listening for the long tone that precedes the warning message,

You cannot utilize the FIPS codes as well as continue normal scanning. For the FIPS code alerts, the scanner has to be parked on the weather frequency. Otherwise, depending on where it was in scanning, and how long of an interval you set, it may miss one or more of the specific codes.

In the scanners menu, select WX Operation
1658465188089.png

The first item, Weather Scan, scans all of the NOAA weather radio frequencies. There is no alert function enabled.
1658465418352.png

For the second item, Weather Alert, you specify if you only want the alert based on the tone. If so, select Alert Only.
1658465547457.png

If you select a location, where you have entered FIPS codes, you scan that location only, and he scanner will alert you if one of the codes you entered is receiving am alert. You can select one specific set of FIPS codes, or scan all FIPS codes entered in the five sets you can program.

This is the tab in the Sentinel Profile Editor where you can enter your FIPS codes of interest.
1658465807262.png
Again, if you are wanting to use the specific SAME FIPS codes, the scanner has to be set only on the weather transmission. You cannot scan regular systems as well as sets of FIPS codes.

If you choose the WX Alert Priority menu, you can set the scanner to check for alerts at the interval of your choice. You can also scan systems, but the scanner will only alert based on the tone, not individual FIPS codes.
1658466188429.png

Sam65255

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the responses. We've got some bad weather coming tonight so I'll play with it and see how the scanner behaves. I don't understand the necessity of SAME FIPS codes if you are parked on the weather broadcast station. You're going to hear everything anyway. I rarely listen to the weather broadcast but wanted it to have priority during a weather emergency. My normal scanning covers Police, Fire and EMS dispatching for State/County/Local jurisdictions. If there is a tornado bearing down on me, I want the scanner to beep, siren and throw water on me.

avaloncourt

Another vote for if you are that concerned about weather alerts, get yourself a dedicated weather radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.