Weather Alert Radio with Adjust Siren Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I want a weather radio with the ability to turn down the alert siren. I mean way down (almost off). The one I have at bedside is adjustable and is still too loud at night and scares the bejeebies out of me. Then my wife gets mad...so I’d appreciate your suggestions. It would also be cool if their was a way to connect to a lamp and flash it instead of an audible alarm.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
And..I forgot to mention that I have a RS 12-249 and 250 (and a 253 and an old 250...)

XTS3000

Radio Shack weather alert clock radio with Skywarn - catalog # 12-519

This clock radio allows you to set the night time alert tone down to a reasonable level. There are 2 alert time modes - day and night. Works very well. I set the night time alert to the minimum and day alert to 3/4.

Set 16 levels of alert volume for daytime and nighttime use.

This WX receiver is very cool, as it lets you program up to 20 2M and/or 70CM frequencies. No PL/DPL, just carrier squelch. I found mine on sale for $59.99 at my local RatShack. All bands are very sensitive and receive ver good. A nice feature is the antenna is a BNC, so ya can connect an external antenna (for those who live in the sticks).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3523686

Last edited:

W9NES

I would recomend the Midland WR-100. These are very nice radios.They have a clock and a alert feature in the radio.I have sold many of these to others and all of The Ham Radio Operators I know have this radio in there Comm Centers including mine.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I was reading about the day/night setting, but I also read something on this site about the manufactures conforming to some federal safety standard that basically says they can’t go below something like 77 decibels. I will run up to the local RS and try it first. I will read up on the Mdland too.

Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a r/s 12-249 which is a little older but has variable siren volume. On the other hand if your siren goes off at night,then maybe you want to be awake to find out why?
n9zas

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I didn't have the money to put down on a new weather radio right now BUT...I figured out that if I pluged a pillow speaker into my scanner (which has same code weather function), all the sound including alarm comes out the pillow speaker. This is loud enough to wake me, but only me. No more jumping out of my skin when the alarm goes off at night.

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Radio Shack weather alert clock radio with Skywarn - catalog # 12-519
Interesting radio. But will it decode different SAME messages from different NOAA transmitters?

Here's my situation. I live at the western edge of the coverage area for my local NOAA transmitter. The county just to the west of me is covered by a different NOAA transmitter. With most weather radios, I actually need two receivers to get messages for both counties--one receiver tuned to my local NOAA transmitter and another receiver tuned to the NOAA transmitter to the west of me. Will this radio scan these two NOAA transmitters and decode SAME messages from either transmitter?

K8TEK

Banned
I know this is an older thread, but the Radio Shack 12-521 has two alert volumes, daytime and nighttime. They change at 2200hrs and 0600hrs. Both daytime and nighttime alarms have a customizable volume. Radio Shack makes some nice units that actually follow the EOM and mute the receiver when the alert is over. Reecom makes some nice units, too and they are a bit more sensitive then the Radio Shack lineup. (.24 µv VS .3µv)

K8TEK

Banned
Interesting radio. But will it decode different SAME messages from different NOAA transmitters?

Here's my situation. I live at the western edge of the coverage area for my local NOAA transmitter. The county just to the west of me is covered by a different NOAA transmitter. With most weather radios, I actually need two receivers to get messages for both counties--one receiver tuned to my local NOAA transmitter and another receiver tuned to the NOAA transmitter to the west of me. Will this radio scan these two NOAA transmitters and decode SAME messages from either transmitter?
I've always been under the impression if you could hear the transmitter, they would play the alerts over that transmitter. I live in an area that is able to receive 3 different transmitters (WXJ93, KZZ47, WXJ58) and all 3 play the alerts for my county.

Status
Not open for further replies.