Weather Alert Receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

In your guys opinion, what would be the 2nd best way to receive NWS alerts. I use a Midland weather radio as a primary way. I would like to have a reliable backup in-case the local NWR station goes down.

Thanks in advance

ScannerSK

Just any RSS app?
I believe so however the app. may have to state that it specifically supports RSS/Atom feeds. I'm installing the "Aggregator | RSS News Reader" for Android currently to give it a try. I use the RSS method of receiving alerts on my desktop computer via Microsoft Outlook and it works great. Some alerts (such as tornado or severe thunderstorm watches) are received up to five minutes sooner via RSS than via the weather radio.

Last edited:

ltginrage

I believe so. I use the RSS method of receiving alerts on my desktop computer via Microsoft Outlook and it works great. Some alerts (such as tornado or severe thunderstorm watches) are received up to five minutes sooner via RSS than via the weather radio.
I rather have it on my desktop if I could, I use the FEMA App for mobile alerts.

Ok, Ive been researching this for a few minutes I found out how to add it to Microsoft Outlook but what would be the link for the rss feed?

ScannerSK

Oh ok. Thanks!
Also, for some reason, I stopped using the "zone list" and only use the link provided under the "county list". I'm not sure if the zone list links did not function properly or whether they were providing duplicate alerts of the county link however I only use the country link to populate the RSS feed.

ltginrage

Oh Ok. What do you have your check for new message set to? Mine defaults to 100 mins.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I use a desktop app called Wx Warning, developed by N3FJP & available at www.wxspots.com. It's free (with ads at the bottom of the screen) or for a one-time fee you can ditch the ads and free up a little screen space. It is configurable to alert for as many counties/states as you want alerts for, and the alerts hit my desktop within +/- 2 seconds of when they hit the Weather Channel on cable, the Weather Channel app, the FEMA app, my local TV station's weather app, or the NOAA weather radio. (Yes, I have all of those, and no, I do not work for the Department of Redundancy Department.)

ltginrage

I use a desktop app called Wx Warning, developed by N3FJP & available at www.wxspots.com. It's free (with ads at the bottom of the screen) or for a one-time fee you can ditch the ads and free up a little screen space. It is configurable to alert for as many counties/states as you want alerts for, and the alerts hit my desktop within +/- 2 seconds of when they hit the Weather Channel on cable, the Weather Channel app, the FEMA app, my local TV station's weather app, or the NOAA weather radio. (Yes, I have all of those, and no, I do not work for the Department of Redundancy Department.)
Thanks Ill check it out. Thinking this RSS Feed will work for now since I can use it with my email client.

ScannerSK

Oh Ok. What do you have your check for new message set to? Mine defaults to 100 mins.
I uncheck the box to follow the publisher's limit (as shown in the above 1.jpg image) and then under "Send/Receive Groups" I set the update frequency based upon my requirements. Currently, there is no severe weather in my area so I have severe weather updates set to update every 15 minutes. When severe weather is in my area, I will change it to once every 5 minutes at times.

Also, I added a shortcut to my Quick Access Toolbar to quickly get to the Define Send/Receive Groups box. It appears the Outlook shortcut for this is Cntl+Alt+S.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2

ecps92

Phone APP or Desktop APP
In your guys opinion, what would be the 2nd best way to receive NWS alerts. I use a Midland weather radio as a primary way. I would like to have a reliable backup in-case the local NWR station goes down.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.