Weather Channels and the WS1098....

Status
Not open for further replies.

map_guy

Im just curious if I should expect much weather radio reception with the WS1098.

I am running an Antennacraft ST2 scanner antenna in my attic, its connected to the scanner with about 80' of RG6 cable. I used compression fittings for all the connections, but the scanner is right near my computer.

When I hit the weather scan function, all I get is static.I am not sure how the Skywarn function would work, if the weather radio channels don't.

I am guess I don't have the right kind of antenna, but curious how good the weather function works for other people?

ScannerSK

Try the whip antenna that came with the scanner to see if you get better reception. If so, then the Antennacraft antenna you are using may be providing too much signal for the scanner.

Shawn

KB7MIB

With the Skywarn function, you're supposed to program in the local Ham radio channels used by Skywarn trained Hams in your area. (You DO NOT have to have a Ham radio license to receive Skywarn training, virtually anyone can attend the classes, and there are several ways to make reports, including telephone, a web form, and in some cases, even social media such as Facebook and Twitter.)
In Arizona, Ham radio based Skywarn nets use 2m and 70cm, depending on the area, so that's what you would program in. (A local GMRS club also takes severe weather reports, according to their website.)
This is a separate function from the NOAA weather radio broadcasts.

John
Peoria, AZ

My old Pro 404 I got recently has a SKYWARN channel in it (200) if I hold the SW button it goes right to 200 and will sit there, until I hit SCAN/MAN again, or do a service search.

drayd48

Make sure you are using the correct weather channel for your area. Most NWS transmitters put out a lot of power and can be heard from very far away. When I hook my scanner to my discone antenna, I pick up all 7 weather channels from different areas. First, make sure you are using the right weather channel. Check the NWS website for the correct channel. Once you find your right channel, then go to the WX function of the scanner and press the up and down arrows to make sure you are on the right channel. If that does not work, then you have an antenna problem.

map_guy

Update:

So I figured I'd make a short length of RG6, put on a BNC connector and try getting the weather channels with my PSR800 in the attic. Even with a short length of cable to the antenna and no electronic interference in the attic, I did not get a single weather channel.

I could buy some RCA compression connectors and try my weather radio in the attic, but thinking now its the antenna. Guess its the antenna thats not meant to get the weather channels.

Last edited:

map_guy

Antenna for NOAA WX Stations with Scanner...

Can anyone recommend what kind of antenna to use to pickup weather stations with my scanner?

I recently put up a Antennacraft ST2 in my attic. It is attached with about 80' of RG6 cable and is connected to a Whistler WS1098. I am located in urban Massachusetts.

When I turn on the weather function of the scanner I get no channels. I even took my PSR800 up to the attic and attached it with a short length of cable, still no weather channels.

Would a different antenna pull these channels in?

ab5r

How far is your nearest NWS weather office? They generally are all in the 162.xxx MHz range FM. strange that you didn't hear anything. On the other hand, that are not known for powerful signal stations and terrain & obstructions can obscure!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
as suggested, how far to the nearest weather forecast office. Have you heard them in the past at your house...a more specific area in MA might help us help you

jim202

I would suggest that you find the NOAA NWS web site and go to your state to find out where the different transmitters are located and what frequency they are using. That way you can get the information first hand. They do run high powered transmitters with decent antennas.

Unless a storm has knocked out one of the transmitters, you should be able to hear at least one of the frequencies if not more than one.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Something is not right here. Use a rubber duck antenna and it should pick up the weather channels.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Antenna, NOAA?

Did you at least check the NOAA site for "outages" to see if the tower nearest you was down or being repaired? last I saw there were a lot of them.

ecps92

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cisctlist/ctlistcoun.htm
Please be more specific, as Urban Massachusetts is not one of the 351 recognized Cities or Towns. :confused:

Can anyone recommend what kind of antenna to use to pickup weather stations with my scanner?

I recently put up a Antennacraft ST2 in my attic. It is attached with about 80' of RG6 cable and is connected to a Whistler WS1098. I am located in urban Massachusetts.

When I turn on the weather function of the scanner I get no channels. I even took my PSR800 up to the attic and attached it with a short length of cable, still no weather channels.

Would a different antenna pull these channels in?

map_guy

I am in New Bedford, MA and I have a weather radio that confirmed the station was up, but had very poor reception with its own antenna.

I also tried my PSR800 with a whip antenna, channel 7 comes in barely. The rubber 800Mhz antenna did worse. When I bring the PSR800 to the attic and attach it to the big antenna with a short cable to the antenna I get almost nothing.

The PSR800n and WS1098 will scan all the default NOAA WX stations, it always finds channel 7.

Is my are just too congested?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
WX channels are 162MHz, so you need an antenna tuned for that band to get good reception. An 800MHz antenna will receive poorly under the best of circumstances.

The ST-2 covers 162MHz pretty well--I can typically pick up signal on 4-5 channels with mine. You need to get yours outside though, and above the peak of your roof. If you have a metal roof, or insulation with a foil layer, it will block signals.

You may have a weather station down in your area.Check to see what WX stations are in your area.

Also, recheck your antenna connections.You should be using the balun that came with the antenna, so there should be a short showing between shield and center of the coax at the radio end with the antenna connected, but no connection when you disconnect the coax from the antenna.

How well can you receive other stations?

ecps92

No NWS Outages reported for MA or RI
NOAA Weather Radio - County Coverage for Massachusetts
NOAA Weather Radio - County Coverage for Rhode Island

Does it hear your Local PD/FD ??

If it's only hearing 7 [assuming 162.5500] you are hearing Cape Cod
I would think you would get RI better

I would double check the
a. Coax - how old ?
b. Connectors - maybe an open or a short
c. The Radio itself, Attenuation, bad antenna connector, defective radio
d. ...much more as more information is provided.

Using the 800 Antenna to listen to VHF, makes sense on why it was worse.

I am in New Bedford, MA and I have a weather radio that confirmed the station was up, but had very poor reception with its own antenna.

I also tried my PSR800 with a whip antenna, channel 7 comes in barely. The rubber 800Mhz antenna did worse. When I bring the PSR800 to the attic and attach it to the big antenna with a short cable to the antenna I get almost nothing.

The PSR800n and WS1098 will scan all the default NOAA WX stations, it always finds channel 7.

Is my are just too congested?

drayd48

Update:

So I figured I'd make a short length of RG6, put on a BNC connector and try getting the weather channels with my PSR800 in the attic. Even with a short length of cable to the antenna and no electronic interference in the attic, I did not get a single weather channel.

I could buy some RCA compression connectors and try my weather radio in the attic, but thinking now its the antenna. Guess its the antenna thats not meant to get the weather channels.

Have you tried to receive the WX channels on a handheld antenna? If you can then, you know it is an antenna problem. Question, I know you said your antenna is in your attic. What material is your roof made of. That could really affect radio signals.

FKimble

What actual freq are you trying to receive. The skywarn is usually only active during inclement weather. A real weather radio may need "SAME" info entered before it will receive. The "weather" function on a ham radio may come with a freq already entered but it may not be one you can actually receive. You may need to enter the correct freq. I just go to the highest channels and program in all the NOAA frequencies. That way where ever I am I can turn thru them to pickup one or more stations. More info on exactly what "weather" thing you are trying to receive would help us answer you concern.

Frank KK4YTM

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Guess its the antenna thats not meant to get the weather channels.

WRONG. The ST-2 is one of the best scanner antennas ever made. When properly installed and connected, it gets excellent reception in the 162 MHz region. I get 161MHz Close Call hits (Uniden's version of band sweep) from Virginia stations in Pennsylvania, and typically receive 4-5 weather channels. Mine is installed outside on a 30-foot mast.

If you're not getting good reception, you may have a bad balun (the adapter converting from 2 wires to coax), your roof may have metal or metal foil in the roofing or insulation blocking the signal, or you may have an issue with your coax.

But it's not an antenna problem unless you broke something setting it up. Get the antenna outside and see if you still have issues. Attach the ST-2 to a broomstick, connect your short RG-6 cable, and take the antenna and a portable up on the roof. I bet you'll get much better reception.

map_guy

Have you tried to receive the WX channels on a handheld antenna? If you can then, you know it is an antenna problem. Question, I know you said your antenna is in your attic. What material is your roof made of. That could really affect radio signals.

I used my handheld PSR800 up in the attic with a short piece of RG6 cable. I didn't get any of the weather stations.

The roof is your standard asphalt shingle roof. It is mounted near the brick chimney because the antenna is so tall and its the only place it won't be an obstruction. There is also a TV antenna up in the attic. Mounting the antenna on the roof isn't an option.

I may try jury rigging something and getting on the roof, its bothering me now and I want to track this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.