Weather Events-Encryption

baker50021

The title spells it out, would really be a public service if some of the channels that are encrypted could broadcast in the clear so we could actually hear reports of funnel clouds etc. being reported by the boots on the ground. Weather emergencies are not the time to play I've got a secret.

n0esc

Feed Provider
Agreed and yet at the same time I can and have seen the potential for confusion and misunderstanding where getting those types of reports "live and real time" isn't always the best. A lot of the upper midwest rural spotting is done by the volunteer firefighters. Farmer Bob took a Skywarn class back in 1998 that one time at the local college. He doesn't need to go back again in his opinion. But he's the first one to call in that group of scud clouds passing over the old Jones place. You know the one. Out on old route 3. Bout 2 miles west of the township hall. It makes my eye twitch. Narrator: Old man Jones died in 2003. The family sold the farm 20 years ago.

Same goes for some of the well meaning amateur radio operators that will activate a Skywarn net and go out and assist with spotting. Same questionable information. Sometimes having a bit of a filter through some radar and meteorologist confirmation isn't always a bad thing.

I agree that minutes and seconds count and you should have every means possible to get notification as soon as possible, while at the same time not wanting to desensitize yourself with warning and alert fatigue with a bunch of false alarms.

RayAir

I don't listen to Skywarn but will listen to nws coordination frequency which usually gives about 1 minute heads up before a tornado warning is issued and the sirens go off.

timsheff

Premium Subscriber
Des Moines NWS uses their MICRN network (Maybe that's what you're referring to). Even so, that was not super active the other night when there were tornados in the DSM area..

Would be nice to find Davenport NWS for our East of the state! I'm sure it is out there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet...

Cashanova48

GMRS callsign WSAF780
Des Moines NWS uses their MICRN network (Maybe that's what you're referring to). Even so, that was not super active the other night when there were tornados in the DSM area..

Would be nice to find Davenport NWS for our East of the state! I'm sure it is out there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet...
I am out if the area to recive the NWS station in Des Moins, but the Ceader Loo repeater in Waterloo which is supposedly used for Skywarn was dead quite last week with tornadoes on ground near the area. Same with the NWS patch in waterloo, didn't hear a thing...

chris451rr

The title spells it out, would really be a public service if some of the channels that are encrypted could broadcast in the clear so we could actually hear reports of funnel clouds etc. being reported by the boots on the ground. Weather emergencies are not the time to play I've got a secret.
This week: The county EMA was in the clear p25 in Linn and the Benton EMA is VHF clear. FD did the weather spottong, clear P25 trunked.
Benton was on the vhf clear FD channels. The PD's don't do anything with weather warnings. They might show up at a disaster location but don't expect much if its a widespread disaster like Aug 2020 derecho. The city streets dept. did most of the clearing roads they were on a commercial trunked at the time but a lot of that was messed up, bent antennas etc. Coax hanging off towers. 150mph sustained wind.
There was a short warning before it hit I told people it sounds bad to the west batten down.
The Brandmeister network set up a talkgroup for NWS but it doesn't ever get used that I hear. They scold you for keying on the group.
The weather net typically discourages most traffic so its hard to get a reading from that whats going on.
If the TV channels are up they always break in all sub channels with weather warnings, forget your program it might get played later.

Last edited:

RayAir

Another source for advanced severe weather information is You Tube.
I followed Ryan Hall during an outbreak a couple months ago and his mostly off camera meteorologist (think his name is Andy) broke in and showed a cell they were watching saying there's going to be a tornado and forewarning people in the effected area.

5 minutes later NWS issued a tornado warning.

The tornado was 20 minutes north of me. It was 2 blocks from my friends house. He said what he initially thought was hail hitting his house was debris.

The tornado was an EF-2.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
Iowa City weather spotters and storm nets are clear. I'm definitely a fan of lowest common denominator during tornado season! I'm surprised our friends in Central Iowa haven't figured that out yet.

timsheff

Premium Subscriber
Iowa City weather spotters and storm nets are clear. I'm definitely a fan of lowest common denominator during tornado season! I'm surprised our friends in Central Iowa haven't figured that out yet.
I have listened to the local, ARES weather spotters, and just can’t handle it anymore. Too many bozos that see an ugly cloud and reports tornadoes all the time.

I have been pretty happy listening to the Linn county EMA during storms. And now with Benton county system coming on soon look forward to listening to their EMA as well.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
This week: The county EMA was in the clear p25 in Linn and the Benton EMA is VHF clear. FD did the weather spottong, clear P25 trunked.
Benton was on the vhf clear FD channels. The PD's don't do anything with weather warnings. They might show up at a disaster location but don't expect much if its a widespread disaster like Aug 2020 derecho. The city streets dept. did most of the clearing roads they were on a commercial trunked at the time but a lot of that was messed up, bent antennas etc. Coax hanging off towers. 150mph sustained wind.
There was a short warning before it hit I told people it sounds bad to the west batten down.
The Brandmeister network set up a talkgroup for NWS but it doesn't ever get used that I hear. They scold you for keying on the group.
The weather net typically discourages most traffic so its hard to get a reading from that whats going on.
If the TV channels are up they always break in all sub channels with weather warnings, forget your program it might get played later.
Which talkgroup are you referring to? 31198 or 31199?

sempai

Premium Subscriber
I have listened to the local, ARES weather spotters, and just can’t handle it anymore. Too many bozos that see an ugly cloud and reports tornadoes all the time.

I have been pretty happy listening to the Linn county EMA during storms. And now with Benton county system coming on soon look forward to listening to their EMA as well.
there was one about a month ago that was on the Coralville UHF 70cm repeater that i listened to and it was pretty great. heard a couple last year that were outstanding. there's a woman between N. Liberty and Cedar Rapids that sounded pretty confident she had a funnel cloud on radar and a couple of people rode out and confirmed. i don't hear from her nearly enough on those nets but i can appreciate they are met with more skepticism and dismissed so easily by outright rubes that i'm not convinced are capable of learning anything ever again.

there's a rather venerable sounding fellow that can probably cw circles around any AI that has a really great way of using an Iowa Nice take on "shut the hell up and let the next station talk" and you can tell he's really hoping more people will start taking charge of these things. i haven't gotten licensed all these years but am about to get it over with for no other reason than to tell some of you what i've been dying to say for years >< i have taken notes before but as i don't ever chime in i don't keep proper records.

speaking re: new operators, my 8yo has taken an interest. she wants to do learn more about what i do so i got her setup with some lockpicks and training locks and we're learning prompt engineering, and bless her little heart for wanting to talk to people on a radio so i had a GMRS license and put a radio she can't get into much trouble with as quickly as possible hah