Weather frequency in the Outer Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what weather frequency (ies) are used in the Outer Banks area? I'm headed down there next week and I want to be sure I have the right one programmed in and not just my home/local weather frequency.

Thanks

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
If you scan the weather band in the 162 Mhz area you will be guaranteed to find a local NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) station. You can also search on the NWS homepage for NWR and navigate to the frequencies that are available!

Cheers

fuzzymoto said:
Anyone know what weather frequency (ies) are used in the Outer Banks area? I'm headed down there next week and I want to be sure I have the right one programmed in and not just my home/local weather frequency.

Thanks

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Yea I know it will be in there somewhere. I was hoping to pre-program the scanner so I can quick key it on and off and I only program with UASD and a computer, not by hand.

I found these:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/stations.php?State=NC

But other than Cape Hatteras I'm not sure which ones I'll receive in Corolla.

Lobstah_Guy

Norfolk

fuzzymoto said:
But other than Cape Hatteras I'm not sure which ones I'll receive in Corolla.

Hmmmm, looking at the location of Corolla on Mapquest, it's actually
closer to Norfolk on 162.55 than it is to Cape Hatteras on 162.475.

Wilmington is even further south, so I'd doubt you would hear it, since
it's on the same freq as Norfolk.

CCHLLM

Yes, 162.550 is the stronger of the two in the Corolla area, though Hatteras is quite readable from there, too.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I guess I'll try 162.55 since it is the same as my local weather freq anyway. Hopefully it comes in in Corolla. Hatteras and Wilmington do see way further south.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Hmmmm, looking at the location of Corolla on Mapquest, it's actually

And even closer to the Mamie (Currituck Co) NWS site on 162.425 MHz, which is listed on the NWS transmitter webpage for NC updated 07312006.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/CntyCov/nwrNC.htm

I presume you might be programming SAME codes also, Fuzzy, if you are taking a scanner along ( or 2, 3, 4, 5 ... ).

If that's the case, the Norfolk NWS site only provides SAME warnings for Currituck County ... not Dare County.

The Mamie site broadcasts SAME warnings for both Currituck and Dare Counties ... an advantage if you will be wandering back into Southern Shores and below for restaurants, shopping or other activities.

Last edited:

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
jeffmulter said:
>> Hmmmm, looking at the location of Corolla on Mapquest, it's actually

And even closer to the Mamie (Currituck Co) NWS site on 162.425 MHz, which is listed on the NWS transmitter webpage for NC updated 07312006.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/CntyCov/nwrNC.htm

I presume you might be programming SAME codes also, Fuzzy, if you are taking a scanner along ( or 2, 3, 4, 5 ... ).

If that's the case, the Norfolk NWS site only provides SAME warnings for Currituck County ... not Dare County.

The Mamie site broadcasts SAME warnings for both Currituck and Dare Counties ... an advantage if you will be wandering back into Southern Shores and below for restaurants, shopping or other activities.

Thanks I'll program them all in just to be sure. I don't plan to put in SAME codes since I haven't really figured out what they do or how they work and I'm actually leaving early tomorrow morning for OBX. Thanks again

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The SAME codes help you reduce the number of weather alerts down to a reasonable number during severe weather.

Using the original single tone alert system, a weather receiver would trigger anytime a weather alert was issued for any county in the NWS transmitter coverage area.

In my area, that would be 9 counties ... and severe weather in many of those counties would have no direct and / or immediate impact on my area. Imagine how many times the weather receiver would go off during severe weather in just a few counties.

With SAME programming, you can reduce the number of alerts to just those counties you want. I have my receivers set to trigger for alerts only for the county to my west, and my own county.

With some SAME receivers, you can also choose whether or not to receive some types of alerts, such as missing children / "Amber," NWS tests, etc.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks..I'll check it further when I get home. Fortunately the weather down here is perfect (as usual).

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
It was 162.425 for anyone else visiting Corolla, Duck, Southern Shores, KDH, Kitty Hawk or Nags head...

Status
Not open for further replies.