Weather @ KCMO VS RADIO ALERTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Being I'm having problem with the Weather frequency out of KCMO on my Pro106 not receiving it at all at times, I have found an alternative solution called RADIO ALERT is an APP on my cell phone that ALERTS me for ALL Weather info. What an APP for my cell phone & it's FREE. Who needs NOAA out of KCMO .

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Who needs NOAA out of KCMO .

Actually, they are in Spring Hill.

Where do you think your high speed app gets its free information- National Weather Service. Does your app or the weather channel issue watches and warnings- no, the National Weather Service does.

I understand you are frustrated because you can't pick up the signal for whatever reason, but that is no reason to throw them under the bus. You may have much better luck with reception using a dedicated and tuned weather receiver equipped with the proper antenna for their freqs than your wide band scanner

SCPD

QRT
Weather VS RADIO ALERTS

YES ! my cell phone APP for the RADIO ALERTS do issue Watches & Warnings, I can also pick & choose
any or ALL ALERTS I want. And the RADIO ALERT system is VERY clear NO mater where I am. So there for if the Weather System out of Pleasant Hills in KC don't work for me & the Radio Alerts do, why not get rid of the bad one ?

mgolden2

Actually they are in Pleasant Hill, Missouri, in southeastern Cass County. They are patched into a talkgroup on the KCMO MARRS system but their VHF freq of 154.130 is still active. The regular wx channel of 162.550 is still very active, too. Perhaps try an outside antenna and your reception will improve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Weather

MGOLDEN 2 : Thanks for the advise, I programed that frequency (162.556 ) , that's not good because it is a continuously talking frequency. But I will try an out side antenna being I am on the very western edge of the broadcasting system for the 154.1300.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Almost correct. Pleasant Hill talks directly to the KCMO MARRS system on an 800 MHz talkgroup. They quit using the VHF frequency over a year ago. KCMO patches the Pleasant Hill 800 MHz talk group to the local VHF Metropolitan Emergency Radio system (MERS) frequency 154.13Mhz. Future plans include simulcasting the MERS frequency from the RAMBIS sites.
BB

frazpo

YES ! my cell phone APP for the RADIO ALERTS do issue Watches & Warnings, I can also pick & choose
any or ALL ALERTS I want. And the RADIO ALERT system is VERY clear NO mater where I am. So there for if the Weather System out of Pleasant Hills in KC don't work for me & the Radio Alerts do, why not get rid of the bad one ?

There are more variables that are inclusive to failure with a cell phone app. I would definetly try to have a dedicated NOAA radio as opposed to a cell phone app. I live here just north of Joplin. Minutes after the tornado cell phones were worthless (kudos to those ham preppers :) You could not make or get receive calls and the texts were not dependable. This wasn't because of damage to the cellular infrastructure. It was due to the overflow of friends and relatives wanting the status of each other.

You may want to attach a simple antenna to your wx radio once you get it (hint hint). That is what I do.
An app is great for back up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.