weather proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danolo

Hi folks...

I've been searching around the internet for answers to this questions and haven't really found anything helpful.

I have a small antenna that provides me internet through Rogers here in Canada. Its called "Portable Internet.". I assume that it exchanges signals with the cell phone system.

I travel full time in my RV all over Canada and its useful for access.
In most cases this device works well, when used indoors, but sometimes I get a much better signal if I put it outside, on top of my RV.

But, this unit is not meant for weather and so I have to be very careful not to get it rained on.

Can you suggest a way to protect it for those times I do put it outside?

Wrap it in Saran Wrap? Put a plastic bucket over it?

I want to have the minimal interference from whatever is protecting it, of course.

Here's the information from label on the bottom of the unit:
NextNet Wireless Inc.
Minneapolis, USA

FCC ID: PHX-RSU2510F
IC: 4022A-RSU2510F
Part # 900=0060-1920
13.0 Vdc
1.3A

Thanks

Last edited:

nug

Premium Subscriber
External Antenna, Mobile Unit

The Residential Suscriber Unit 2510 Wireless Access Modem...most likely made by Motorola....it has an internal panel antennal....some people are trying to hack this to add an external antenna...but I think if you check with your Carrier, you may be able to get a Mobile unit that has an External Antenna, like this Mobile Subscriber unit listed here:
http://www.nextnetwireless.com/assets/spec_sheets/New_MSU_Spec_FNL.pdf

Danolo

nug said:
The Residential Suscriber Unit 2510 Wireless Access Modem...most likely made by Motorola....it has an internal panel antennal....some people are trying to hack this to add an external antenna...but I think if you check with your Carrier, you may be able to get a Mobile unit that has an External Antenna, like this Mobile Subscriber unit listed here:
http://www.nextnetwireless.com/assets/spec_sheets/New_MSU_Spec_FNL.pdf

Yah!!! Isn't that the cat's meow! That is probably my next step. But for the coming summer season, can you address my original question?

Thanks

Bill_White

N1BHH

Take a good picture of it and post it here. That's a WIMAX antenna, it's in the WIFI family, I just can't find any pictures of it. I've found links but no pictures and it's not listed on the FCC site for some reason. You could always spray it with clear enamel to protect it. I can't offer much else without seeing one. They operate at 2.4GHz. is all I can find out. I would get a better antenna, just Google search for mobile WIFI antennas and you'll find a bunch that offer lots of gain.

Danolo

N1BHH said:
Take a good picture of it and post it here. That's a WIMAX antenna, it's in the WIFI family, I just can't find any pictures of it. I've found links but no pictures and it's not listed on the FCC site for some reason. You could always spray it with clear enamel to protect it. I can't offer much else without seeing one. They operate at 2.4GHz. is all I can find out. I would get a better antenna, just Google search for mobile WIFI antennas and you'll find a bunch that offer lots of gain.

Thanks for your reply...

Here's the specification sheet on these units. It appears they operate at 2.5 Ghz and 3.x Ghz.

http://www.motorola.com/business/v/...nnel=e4234a1f8fce6110VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD

As it happens I do have a nifty outdoor YAGI type WIFI antenna but its designed to operate at 2.4 Ghz. and I use it for "hotspotting" and using a campground's WIFI system. I've got it on a rotor and it works well.

I got the Rogers/Motorola unit after that, when I discovered my WIFI unit was not picking up a signal in my wintering place.

I guess I didn't make it clear in my original post - I only stay in one location for a week and then move on, and usually I get good reception with the Motorola unit from inside the RV, so I only need weather protection on the few times a year when reception is poor.

I think I'll try a plastic container of some sort and see how that works and when I can afford it I'll get the unit described in the posting by nug in this thread.

Thanks for all your help folks and I'll report back how it all works.

Last edited:

Danolo

LordJ said:
Looks a little big for a Gladware container...maybe a 5 gallon pail with lid and holes drilled for cabling?

Yeah, there's a wide variety of plastic containers, and I assume they are all pretty much the same when it comes to rate of interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.