Weather Radio Canada on the way out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoyeom

Just heard Weatheradio Canada announce on the Normondale (Norfolk, Ontario) tower that they will be shutting it down over the next 6 months. You can call or email them if you have any concerns.

sudsyjkh

Same here in Sudbury.

I honestly haven’t regularly used WRC for forecasts in years, but still switch it on a couple times/day to check the volume level of my radio.

Last night, for the first time, noticed a female TTS synthesizer reading a message stating: “The Weather Radio Canada station for this area is scheduled to be discontinued in the next six months. If you have any comments or concerns, email xxxxx or call yyy”.

Then it went on to promote ECCC’s website/mobile app.

I realize the hardware/software they’re using is ancient, and prone to tech glitches/failures, but all that aside, personally know a few people (especially older folks) who still rely on their WX radios for Watch and Warning Alerts.

As both a radio and weather buff, I remember getting my first scanner as an eight-year-old back in 1992 living in Tiverton, leaving it on 162.55 for hours at a time. That’s when a real person (in the London weather office) would disseminate the info.

Farewell old friend; RIP

mrweather

I noticed that the Fonthill, ON transmitter (162.475) appears to be down again (it was down for several months a couple of years ago). I wonder if EC will just leave it that way?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Yes it appears to be gone. Someone told me that they had been running a recording that it was going to be disconnected within six months. I can get 162.475 from the west and someone I know in Sherwood Park can still get 162.55 most likely from the east.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
That's too bad. Receiving Weather Radio Canada lets me know that VHF prop is good. A few times this summer it completely overpowered some of the regional NOAA transmitters here.

The transmitter nearby my location in SE Saskatchewan was down but it's back up and working well now. It's not one of the 5 on the turn down list, so good news ! I listen to it every day. There was a study done before our PPSTN was built out, about SaskTel's network venerability's that was a real eye opener. We are relying far to heavily on our cellular network. It was truly shocking how easily we could be back in the 1970's communications wise after a tornado or an ice storm take's down out infrastructure. My weather radio scares the dickens out of me every time it's alarm sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.