Weather Radio - Canada vs US

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoyeom

Always a good indicator of whether or not there is good dxing there is a vast difference between NOAA Radio and Weather Radio Canada support pages.

NOAA has maps of where their transmitters are: NWR Pennsylvania Coverage and when clicking on them you get more information like coverage maps and alert coverage etc.

With Weather Radio Canada you get an archived web page they won't be updating. Disappointing to say the least. Archived: Forecast region: Southern Ontario - Canada.ca

SKaiserling

It sucks that Weather Canada seems to not have SAME codes. They have a 1050hz warning tone which will trigger basic receivers but that's it.

mrweather

Weatheradio Canada must be broadcasting SAME codes because my BC796D responds appropriately with whatever weather alert is sent (watch, warning, etc.)

SKaiserling

I went off of what I had on the archived web site. I'll double check they're programmed correctly and then wait for one of the administrative tests, which if memory serves me correctly are done Wednesdays. If there's a more accurate source than the archived pages, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction but as it stands I only receive the 1050 Hz tone for the "All Hazards Alert."
WS1040

SKaiserling

Thanks for the heads up. According to a Weather Canada stats web site (for clarification this seems to be privately owned) apparently the last alert in Barrie was 6 years ago.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thanks for the heads up. According to a Weather Canada stats web site (for clarification this seems to be privately owned) apparently the last alert in Barrie was 6 years ago.
I've got a contact at EC who takes care of the system. I'll send her an email and see what she says.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
All the codes are here... This page has been around for a long time.

My Midland goes off, as well as my many Uniden scanners programmed with my CLC code for my area for any event: Severe Thunderstorm, Tornado warning etc,

cheers,

Jason

SKaiserling

The only reason I assumed SAME codes weren't working is because I've never received an alert besides the 1050 Hz tone, and I seem to have programmed them correctly using all the links everyone graciously provided in this thread.

SKaiserling

I usually keep the weather priority off, but during the summer I've kept it on a lot or checked the weather on my phone and turned it on then. I've audibly heard severe thunderstorm warnings as well, which is why I was confused earlier. I'll share my weather settings via photo either tonight or tomorrow when I am off work and I can share my scan list.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I usually keep the weather priority off, but during the summer I've kept it on a lot or checked the weather on my phone and turned it on then. I've audibly heard severe thunderstorm warnings as well, which is why I was confused earlier. I'll share my weather settings via photo either tonight or tomorrow when I am off work and I can share my scan list.
The radio has to be in WX alert mode, and one channel, not scanning, to get alerts.

SKaiserling

The priority check activates the alert mode for a moment every 10 seconds and then resumes scanning.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The only reason I assumed SAME codes weren't working is because I've never received an alert besides the 1050 Hz tone, and I seem to have programmed them correctly using all the links everyone graciously provided in this thread.
My contact at EC indicates they are still broadcasting SAME codes from Collingwood. However, the Orillia transmitter has been down for quite quite a while and isn't transmitting anything.

Officially, EC is actually looking at dismantling the WeatherRadio network since most people now get their info from other sources.

mrweather

Officially, EC is actually looking at dismantling the WeatherRadio network since most people now get their info from other sources.
That just sounds like a bad idea. Yes, many people have devices that can access the cellphone network but there are still places where coverage is spotty to non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.