Weather Radio Input Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4BLG

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I have a Midland WR-120EZ with no power adapter. I noticed that the specs call for a 9v adapter. After digging around in the "junk box", I discovered that I have more 12v adapters than I have sense, but no 9v adapters. I know a lot of electronics have an input voltage range since they rely on voltage regulators to get them down to the actual working voltage. Does anyone know if a 12v adapter would work on the Midland, or would this be out of the range?

Thanks,

Zach - KM4BLG

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
To be on the safe side, I'd spend a couple of bucks and get the 9v wall wart. And be sure you get one with the center positive. Some power supplies made for European electronics have center negative.

KM4BLG

Premium Subscriber
To be on the safe side, I'd spend a couple of bucks and get the 9v wall wart. And be sure you get one with the center positive. Some power supplies made for European electronics have center negative.

Thanks. That's probably ultimately what I'll end up doing. I just wondered if there might be someone that has done it with success. I found a 10v adapter that I took the risk with. Powered the radio fine, but RFI hell. Since this radio is going in the new ham shack, thought it wasn't a great idea to use it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Since the adapters are usually cheap devices, voltages can vary. I check no load output with a volt meter and have seen one rated 12 volts that put out 16 volts when not under load. I would not trust one with a device that might be depended on in threatening weather. Some American devces also have center negative, such as older Kenwood HTs.

K4EET

Chaplain
@KM4BLG, if you would like to, you can contact Midland and ask the to quote you a replacement "AC Power Adapter" for your Midland WR-120EZ Weather Radio. If you decide to go that route and get the OEM part, you can use this webpage:

K4RBT

I took a look at mine. It shows 9 volts@300 ma. This thing is tiny, a little larger than an ice cube! Model number S300ATU0900030. I hope this helps.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That's probably ultimately what I'll end up doing. I just wondered if there might be someone that has done it with success. I found a 10v adapter that I took the risk with. Powered the radio fine, but RFI hell. Since this radio is going in the new ham shack, thought it wasn't a great idea to use it.
Here's the adapter on Midland's site:

However, Midland is out of stock at the moment.

Compatible adapter on eBay and on Rakuten.

Two listings on Amazon:
and

K4RBT

This one says it is a switching power supply. Made in China, but, then what is not? Out of stock is saying the COVID-19 is trashing imports as they have to be quarantined. Scanner Master is out of stock on just about every Uniden scanner. I would look at Mouser, they stand behind everything they sell and do not work out of a garage or basement. Some components I need to finish repairs on two Yaesu radios are on backorder.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Anker is another well-respected brand and they carry a variety of similar electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.