Weather radio that follows the EOM data

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have bought a few weather radios, and I am a bit bothered that I cannot find one manufacturer that follows S.A.M.E. protocol and mutes the receiver after the EOM is played.

EOM, or end of message is used to tell the receivers to mute their audio and go into standby mode. Every single radio I have had the displeasure of using will totally ignore the EOM and leave the audio on for 5 minutes after activation. Why is this? It is able to decode the initial header with duration, fips codes and event codes but it isn't able to mute when the message is over? Instead, they use a timer. This is completely unacceptable. They can't say that there is a possibility it doesn't hear it, because it is played 3 times.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have owned two Radio Shack SAME radios and they both mute on the EOM - first time, every time. The first one I owned was the white one and it was junk after about a year. The RS unit I have has been working great 24x7 for a very long time.

For what it's worth, the PSR-500 and Pro-96 scanners work properly as well. What models are you finding this with?

Last edited:

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Most recently, the 12-259. It will shut off the alert after the EOM, but the voice will mute after 5 minutes. You can only have one or the other selected, voice or alert.

baybum

To GREENTHUMB:

Just so I understand...that Radio Shack unit will be silent until it is activated...then will sound an alarm...then the voice message and SAME readout, then it will go silent after the EOM?

Sorry for the long sentence there. I'm looking for one that requires no human interaction, once powered up.

Thanks,

Mike

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Just so I understand...that Radio Shack unit will be silent until it is activated...then will sound an alarm...then the voice message and SAME readout, then it will go silent after the EOM?

Yep, that's exactly how it works!

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I have a WR-602 that goes back into standby mode after the alert. There are 3 digital bursts (EOM) at the end of the alert. With the wr-602, you hear one of them, then it is back in standby mode.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The BC370CRS will also correctly go back to standby after the message end. It will also trigger on NOAA broadcasts or the emergency alerts that are broadcast on commercial AM or FM radio stations (EAS).

You can program it by hand.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
The BC370CRS will also correctly go back to standby after the message end. It will also trigger on NOAA broadcasts or the emergency alerts that are broadcast on commercial AM or FM radio stations (EAS).

You can program it by hand.

So how come most of the newer scanners like the 396 and 796 won't go back to standby?

woodyrr

Scanner as All Hazards Radio

Since my Midland alert, AM FM, clock radios rattle on after the warning has been broadcast, I looked at the BC370CRS, and found that it is primarily a scanner. I almost ordered one for use as an all hazards clock radio, and then rethought the purchase. I think that it is great that Uniden includes the ability for their scanners to react to the 1050 Hz tone or S.A.M.E. codes broadcast by the NWS and this one, to an EAS activation by a tuned radio station, but I wish that Uniden would give the end user some control over the volume of the alert tone. All of the Uniden scanners that I have had that have alert capability have an alert tone that can literally wake the dead. Under the circumstances where a scanner is a suitable substitute for a dedicated weather radio, a deafening siren alert that can be heard in the next county is usually inappropriate. such as while at work, traveling with friends, staying in a hotel room, or staying as a guest at someone's home, especially if there is no “defeat siren” option for conditions that the user would rather sleep through. I understand the rationale behind not allowing the consumer to control the alert volume, but in my opinion, an adjustable, quiet alert with the feature activated is better than no alert at all if you are reluctant to turn it on in the first place.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We adhere to CEA-2009-A specifications which call for a minimum 77dB at one meter within the range of 500 to 1500 Hz.

We consider All Hazards Alert to be as critical as your smoke detector in its ability to rouse you from near death to take action.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Aint nothin like the real thing.....

Here is my take on the subject. AOR has receivers that have some scanning abilities but fall short of a real scanner. The same theory applies to scanners that have SAME abilities. Yes they work but lets face it, no scanner will be better than a dedicated weather radio . As nice as Paul or anyone may paint a picture of how well the 370's weather features work, in the end, it is still just a scanner which happens to have SAME capabilities. The REECOM R-1650 mentioned above for example, is an excellent dedicated receiver. I own one and have a second one on the way for another room in the house. The 1630,50 are CEA-2009-A Certified Alert Receivers. Take a look at the manual and see for yourself if these are serious weather radios:

http://www.weatherconnection.com/manuals/R1650 Manual.pdf

This is my idea of a weather radio.....Dont rely on a scanner for the safety of your family, get a REAL weather radio. I did, and it has NEVER let me down......

http://www.weatherradiostore.com/pr...0&cat=1&subcat=954814&sortby=&filtermfg=&page

Manny

Last edited:

wildboar

Reecom is the one

Just got my Reecom R-1650 the other week and it is all I could ask for in a weather radio. Awesome reception and great ability to customize the warning alerts.

A family member gave us a Honeywell that was more of a toy than anything, it's lowest volume was enough to hear from the other end of the house so you couldn't even use it for listening to the forecast and the reception was barely good enough to pull it in anyway.

You can pick up the 1650 on this promo deal, you have to FAX it in and they will call you back and tell you the price has gone up a few $, I think the total was $57 or so.

http://www.wpsdtv.com/sites/WPSD/images/weather/WxRadioOrderform.pdf

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
REECOM wx alert radio

...The REECOM R-1650 mentioned above for example, is an excellent dedicated receiver. I own one and have a second one on the way for another room in the house. ...
This is my idea of a weather radio.....Dont rely on a scanner for the safety of your family, get a REAL weather radio. I did, and it has NEVER let me down......

Manny

I wonder how well it would do in an r.f.-dense urban area, such as Washington, D.C.

I find that any modern scanner is essentially useless on high band around here due to the r.f. noise floor being up around the ceiling. Maybe that will change when analog TV transmitters go dark? I'm looking down the throat of TV channels 4, 7, 9, and have a number of FM broadcast stations within a 2 mile radius.

Thanks.

Bote
temporarily at the McLean Relay Station

Status
Not open for further replies.