Weather Siren Frequency in Miami County, IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatedGore

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone knows what frequency the tones go out to turn on the siren in Miami County. Im not too sure if its on the county wide pager frequency one of the ema frequencies or what. Anything helps!

west-pac

I was wondering if anyone knows what frequency the tones go out to turn on the siren in Miami County. Im not too sure if its on the county wide pager frequency one of the ema frequencies or what. Anything helps!

I'm not sure either. What you could do is call the EMA office and ask if they do a monthly test, and what day and time that may be. Then program and scan only the most relevant frequencies during that time.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I thought the weekly Friday testing was statewide in IN? Some do it at 11:00 am, others at 12:00 pm. I know Monroe, and Morgan Counties used to do thiers on first Friday of each month, but thought they had gone to weekly like everyone else?

DJ11DLN

I thought the weekly Friday testing was statewide in IN? Some do it at 11:00 am, others at 12:00 pm. I know Monroe, and Morgan Counties used to do thiers on first Friday of each month, but thought they had gone to weekly like everyone else?
Apparently Clay Co. hasn't heard of this. Heck we can't even get a weekly (or monthly) pager test. When on rare occasions they do they just run the All-Call tone and call it done, don't even ask for acknowledgement.

The sirens usually get tested in April and that's it. :rolleyes:

west-pac

Huntington does/used to do the first Wednesday and Saturday of the month at 11:00am. Blackford county does the first Friday of the month at 11 or noon.

DatedGore

Premium Subscriber
okay will do, I know they do test the sirens every month but I'm not sure when. I might email them instead though. And I'm not too sure what the relevant frequencies would be, any ideas?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Most likely if not on the Countywide Fire VHF, then one of the EMA VHF ones. Whichever has a lot of BM freqs all over the county, or FX ones. Those are the Base/Mobiles, and Fixed Station ones. Some places don't have a radio activation system, some have landline systems where they use a DTMF tone via phone. I know here it was a dual patched system, done on a data stream on the TRS, and DTMF over the VHF. With the system upgraded to P25 not sure exactly how the system is rigged now.

Garymaxon1234

Delaware County sets off their sirens off every Friday at 11:00 AM, Ball state sets theirs off at 11:00 AM also. Both use Phone lines.

west-pac

This MAY be a siren on the corner of the courthouse in Peru. Kinda hard to tell. Screenshot_20200823-162159_Maps.jpg

DatedGore

Premium Subscriber
Well i know there is a siren on the courthouse, im guessing thats probably it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
My guess is VHF. The pole in post 15 has a Yagi antenna probably pointed at the activation point. The pole in post 16 has a vertical antenna. The photo of the courthouse does appear to show a siren on the corner of the roof, but I don't see an antenna. The thing sticking out from the side of the parapet appears to be a video camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.