• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Weather Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

n211cr

I have tried a few different software based weather programs, but have not found any that either run smooth or show very detailed graphics. What is everyones weather/storm tracking program of choice?

USAPatriot

I've used Weatherbug for years. It's a huge network of sensors, many in schools, so you usually can pick and choose from multiple sensor sites within any city. From where I'm at now, I have 20+ to choose from, as close as 2 miles and as far away as 20, and that's just what it shows me when I type in MY zipcode. You get ads if you don't buy it but it's fully functional as a freebie. -Rod-

www.weatherbug.com

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Stay away from that -- it's "pretty" but not a valid representation of the storms.

what we use

in the comm center where i work, we use weathertap. you pay a fee per month, but the radar stays updated. weathertap.com

rdale

The software I linked to has no monthly fee, and allows much more functionality than any website...

rdale said:
The best radar software of any soft available publicly is GRLevelX at http://grlevelx.com

Combine that with watch/warning software called RealEMWIN http://skywatch.org and you have an unbeatable weather setup...
I second the GRLevelX vote. My understanding is that you can get upgraded server service for it (and watches/outlooks/MCDs, etc.) from AllisonHouse.com for a nominal subscription fee.

http://nexrad.allisonhouse.com/buy/

You can also interface with a GPS feed to plot position on the maps.

Good stuff!

SEMTTP

Again though, I will definatly stand with Rob on this one, GRLevel X is without argument the best source for Radar on the internet. All those other ones may be ok and show pretty things, but GRLevel x beats them in every realm.

If you know anything about weather, then you have GRLevel X!!!

rdale

Wow - I thought he'd left the wx programming world! I loved his prior work, but once GR hit the market and Nexrad went away it was a no-brainer to switch. Looks like he's got a nice thing going now, but missed the boat unfortunately!

SEMTTP

I was going to say....that nexrad3 looks pretty nice...but I am definatly addicted to GRLevel3.....

Rob, I think I might get a hold of you regarding the EMWIN thing......is that a one time fee or a monthly fee(I am sorry if I missed that in the FAQ)

n211cr

Thanks for all your input, I had tried a few demos of Storm predator but the features and easy of use of the grlevel3 program seems outstanding. I have used quite a few of the local medias websites as well as the nws radar from their own page, but it does not have the same zoom and graphing capabilities that this does. Thanks a ton for everyones input, I will probably try out the demo and ponder wheather I need to spend 80 on it. It is by far the best solutuon I have seen so far. Does anyone know if this price would include updates when they come out to an extent?

rdale

So far no charges on any updates, I suppose if he goes to v2 there might be a small fee but that's a ways away...

Status
Not open for further replies.