Weatherproofing antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this subject has been brought up already.

What are some ways to weatherproof antennas, coax and or connectors that wont hinder/alter the performance of the antenna to drastically?

I've got an Austin Spectra antenna that I'd like to weatherproof on top of a work truck, and while giving the antenna a oil wipe-down every few weeks will prolong the life greatly its not the preferred method. Is there a more permanent solution like plastic dip or weatherproof tape? I also plan on conditioning my base station antennas when I get my tower set up. Could I use the plastic tool dip for my antennas or will it hinder reception? http://www.lowes.com/pd_42518-61158-11603-6_0__?productId=3543512 This is the stuff I had in mind. Hopefully I can coat my connections and antenna in this stuff without performance loss.

John_S

Liquid Electrical Tape by Starbright...available at auto parts and marine supply stores. Never really used it cover a complete antenna, as most additional coatings will interact and alter SWR, but if you're not transmitting, go for it. I've used this stuff for years around connections to antennas or around coax to coax connections. It's best feature is that it can be removed without leaving any residue...sharp knife carefully used to start a cut and then peel the rest. The other thing is that you can dab it in places that you can't reach with electrical tape. Just make sure to stir the contents well before using...all the good stuff settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.