Weekly Database Updae

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Does the weekly database update have any effect on my favorite lists? or is it just when I'm using the entire database

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It only updates the database.

On your RR home page you can "watch" systems, agencies, etc. and they will be highlighted in green if there were any changes in the last 24 hours or yellow if updated in the last week so you can manually update your FLs.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A lot of folks have "spiffed up" their Favorites Lists. So it's a blessing that the weekly update only affects the full database and won't overwrite the Favorites Lists.

RR allows users to "watch" Systems for updates. So a person has a way of knowing whether something of interest has changed and can update Favorites Lists as appropriate.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
I was just reading through some posts about weekly updates to databases. Apparently, updating the entire database does not update any Favorites Lists.
What do you guys mean by "manually updating" favorites lists on the BCD 436?
Do I need to DELETE and REINSTALL each Favorites List???

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You are correct that any database updates such as new frequencies/channels, changed frequencies/channels or deleted frequencies/channels are not carried over to Favorites Lists.

For existing systems more often than not, changes may be things like re-named channels, a few additional channels or perhaps a deletion or two. While you could delete and recreate a Favorites List to incorporate those changes, my prference is to use the Favorites List editor and make the changes manually add/delete channels or give them the new name (though the name I use might be "better" for my purposes).

If it's a major change, like involving dozens of channels, then I might be tempted to delete and re-create. All depends on my time and energy level.

Once I've done "whatever" to the Favorites List(s) I'll save and to a write to scanner, being sure to check the Erase Favorites List on Scanner box, which prevents duplicate Favorites Lists and resulting confusion.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for explaining that. Not being aware of this need, I think there are MANY changes to the trunked, digital channels like Highway Patrol and Fire, that have not been updated in my Favorites in many months. Arrrrrrrgh.
Sounds like a DELETE and redo are in order.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for explaining that. Not being aware of this need, I think there are MANY changes to the trunked, digital channels like Highway Patrol and Fire, that have not been updated in my Favorites in many months. Arrrrrrrgh.
Sounds like a DELETE and redo are in order.
Alternatively, you could append the 'updated' system(s) to your Favorites list, then delete any duplicated data.

Generally speaking, I monitor the changes to the systems and agencies of interest via my RR Home page. As you are also a Premium subscriber, add the counties and systems of interest to your home page, so that you can see when something has been changed. Often, it is a minor correction in wording, or something else that does not affect how the system should be programmed, so no action is required. If it is an addition or deletion of a few channels or talkgroups, I'll simply manually make the change in my favorites lists rather that re-inventing the wheel by starting over.

If it is a major change, such as when a large batch of new (to the system) talkgroups are added, I can append the system from the main database, then cull out the corrections or duplication's. You can also append the system, then use the Favorites list editor to cut and paste large groups of TGID's (or frequencies) from the appended system from the master database to your existing system. That way, you don't have to go back change or correct text tags (if you modified them previously for clarity).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Of course every system is different, but I imagine that with established systems, such as Ohio, major changes are infrequent. Most likely any changes will be "One-sies and two-sies". So you may not be too far behind, if at all.

You might think about updating the full database and writing the full database to your scanner. Then turn off your Favorites Lists and just monitor from the full database. If you discover any new channels of interest, that might give you an idea that you have Favorites List work to do.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Actually, there ,IMHO is quite a lot of additions, changes, etc. It's a 2nd generation statewide system for Ohio and is getting much more local involvement than previous.

There are constant new, small moving as well as changes even in the large metros systems.

I'm in a really yrural section, yet may add a TG or 2 every week or so. Of course, if it's your local PD - it's important.

I do run various analyzers & monitoring raidiosjust to find new ones.

Of course every system is different, but I imagine that with established systems, such as Ohio, major changes are infrequent. Most likely any changes will be "One-sies and two-sies". So you may not be too far behind, if at all.

You might think about updating the full database and writing the full database to your scanner. Then turn off your Favorites Lists and just monitor from the full database. If you discover any new channels of interest, that might give you an idea that you have Favorites List work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.