Weird ADS-B Siting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Ya so I am just sitting here happily watching ADS-B traffic on my VRS and I looked up when VRS Auto-Selected this and why is this flying over Oklahoma?

Attachments

• germanyaftinker.jpg
    germanyaftinker.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 467

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Nice catch.
Few weeks ago i saw a DEA helo. Took a few pics but since its the DEA i dont want to post pics. lol

kma371

QRT
Training mission most likely. Other countries train with us all the time and vice versa

SCPD

QRT
I took another look and seen a fighter jet silhouette so ya could be training mission. Now Dept of Homeland Security helo has been flying overhead but it is Mode-S. Government at work. Seen some Talons, E3B Sentry's, KC-135R's, KC 10A's, i forgot what the propeller driven plane was.

Last edited:

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Sorry a beginner here what is Ads...vrs??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pilotman6012

Heavy transports fly over the US all the time,especially when they have units training at Nellis Afb during exercise training like Red Flag,in one day i had RAF(Royal Air Force),RAAF(Royal Australian Air Force) and from time to time you will see heavy tankers from many countries as well.,Oklahoma is right smack in the middle of the country,so they fly over all the time.

SCPD

QRT
YA I noticed TIK is quite busy daily never ADS-B mode only Mode-S except for a few occasions like one tanker did a fly over at KOKC after making 3 circles around the city. My Nooelec NESDR Smart dongle is doing a good job.

kma371

QRT
US Military rarely uses ADS-B with exception of a few tankers and E6 aircraft.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the units but there is a USN E6 unit there in addition to USAF AWACS. And lots of National Guard tankers.

Had to look it up:

COMSTRATCOMMWING ONE (SCW-1) (Navy)
552d Air Control Wing (USAF)
513th Air Control Group (USAF)
507th Air Refueling Wing (USAFR)

And bunches more ... especially the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex which "performs programmed depot maintenance on the C/KC-135, B-1B, B-52 and E-3 aircraft; expanded phase maintenance on the Navy E-6 aircraft; and maintenance, repair and overhaul of F100, F101, F108, F110, F117, F118, F119 and TF33 engines for the Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, Navy and foreign military sales."

F100s? Didn't those get phased out decades ago? Oh, F100 *engine* ...

kma371

QRT
The E6 squadron out here at Travis has been turning off their ADS-B lately. Maybe they were catching on. Their KC10s use it also but not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.