BCT15X: weird backlight behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

Sometimes I notice the backlight on my BCT15X goes off for a split second when it is scanning. Not a real issue, but at first I thought I was seeing things that were not there because it seemed it only did it when I first looked at it, but not when I was looking at it all the time. Has anyone else noticed this?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I noticed this once and had to go through every frequency in my FreeSCAN file to find a single frequency that had the alternate color set to flash slow. I changed it to OFF and problem was solved.

KD4UXQ

Not weather alert, but maybe it is the alert color set in a Freescan file. I'll check later. Thanks.

I have had some weird upload issues with Freescan to this scanner. Twice I had one system that I could not activate and when I checked it manually on the scanner it was not locked out and the correct quick key was assigned. All I did was update that system with Freescan not having changed anything in Freescan, and it started working again. Never saw that with my BCD396XT or the others I had before it.

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

Thanks for the suggestion! Turning off alert colors solved this.

I had copied systems I use on my BCD396XT and one of those systems had an alert color on a channel. I had not been monitoring that system on my BCD396XT recently as it is low band and needs more antenna than I usually use portable. Having the BCT15X hooked up to an outside antenna which can receive 42MHz well, I decided to monitor this system and didn't even think about the alert colors.

I turned off those alert colors and the display no longer blanks out the backlight. I really only noticed this when scanning, but also had seen the display off a couple of times while it stopped on one of the system channels and thought maybe I accidentally hit the volume button and switched it off. In fact it was turning off the backlight since it could not switch colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.