Weird for S.P.V.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc1990

Early this morning (arround 1 am), SPVM were looking for 2 suspects in a park. I could hear the regular police comm (between officers and dispatcher) but at some point, I was able to hear the conversation that the 911 operator and the 911 caller were having on top of the regular p/o - dispatcher comm.

I found that quite interesting! It was like the 911 caller/operator were « conferenced » with the dispatcher. I was able to hear the 4 sides of the conversation. It's the first time I hear this. Was is a button that the dispatcher accidently pushed or is that done in Montréal? Why?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Early this morning (arround 1 am), SPVM were looking for 2 suspects in a park. I could hear the regular police comm (between officers and dispatcher) but at some point, I was able to hear the conversation that the 911 operator and the 911 caller were having on top of the regular p/o - dispatcher comm.

I found that quite interesting! It was like the 911 caller/operator were « conferenced » with the dispatcher. I was able to hear the 4 sides of the conversation. It's the first time I hear this. Was is a button that the dispatcher accidently pushed or is that done in Montréal? Why?

Many many years ago when the Montreal Police force were on 154.800 (way before you were born) I once heard a call with the dispatcher clearly repeating what 911 operator was saying, translating from english (the caller) to french (police, even though the cops were english).

It involved a politician type and I was hearing it as the politician was on his primitive cell phone in analogue calling 911. Sometimes I miss the 80's....

BTW-Are you listening to a feed or do you live in Mtl? You list Timmins as your home.

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
Hi EJB,

I also started monitoring the Montreal Police Force in the late 70's early 80's and yes it was the "good" time ...

This technique called "Hot Shot" is coming back ... According to some sources, what they are working on now is to develop a similar approach but where the actual voice of the Caller couldn't be heard over the air while the Caller couldn't hear the officers on the scene, the dispatcher having to relay all the information.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to it on a feed. I'm in Timmins.

Why would a person from Timmins listen to the Mtl police? I guess you speak french, you'd have to be able to, just about all the comms are in french. I dunno, I guess maybe you visited the city?

Without any understanding of the city you are listening to I find it hard to listen.

rc1990

Why would a person from Timmins listen to the Mtl police? I guess you speak french, you'd have to be able to, just about all the comms are in french. I dunno, I guess maybe you visited the city?

Without any understanding of the city you are listening to I find it hard to listen.

Yes, i am a bit familiar with the city. I have a cousin who lives there and used to be a police dispatcher for SPVM. And yes I do speak french, It's my maternal tongue.

Since the police service in my city went encrypted a few months back, i deceided to listen to feeds. Also, i listen to them because I might move to Mtrl in Sept to get my Doctor (doctorate) in psychology and i want to be familiar with SPVM dispatch codes/protocols.

plaws

Premium Subscriber

I don't listen to SPVM, but I do listen to SPIM, I mean SSIM, I mean SIM. Regularly. Boston FD a lot as well. Beats listening to the locals. :lol:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I don't listen to SPVM, but I do listen to SPIM, I mean SSIM, I mean SIM. Regularly. Boston FD a lot as well. Beats listening to the locals. :lol:

What is SIM?

To each their own, occasionally I listen to NYC or Boston EMS, I know Boston well enough to know where the EMS units are going.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
SIM = Service Incendie de Montéal (Montreal Fire Service)

Those of you bored by now, go somewhere else ... quick! :D

It's actually Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal now.

It was as you described, until 1984 or so when it they added "prévention", so SPIM, Service de la Prévention des Incendies de Montréal. Then in 2002, with the forced merger of all on-island suburbs, it was Service de Sécurité Incendie de Montréal, or SSIM.

Except that wasn't correct enough, so now it's lower case, except for Service and Montréal and it's abbreviated SIM again.

No, I have no idea why. :)

Anyway, they've always been good to listen to and despite being on a P25 system, the audio sounds pretty good even across the net. Very disciplined radio procedure and pretty busy. The current feed (as opposed to the ones that were around 8-10 years ago) don't include any of the EMS traffic but that's probably just as well.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=4677,10107569&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Hotelsecurity

It was not an accident. I believe they call it "hot shot". It used to be used more in the past. I've been on it. I witnessed a crime, followed the suspect &called 9-1-1 on my cell phone & was able to speak to the police responding in their cars.

Hotelsecurity

Those of you bored by now, go somewhere else ... quick! :D

It's actually Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal now.

It was as you described, until 1984 or so when it they added "prévention", so SPIM, Service de la Prévention des Incendies de Montréal. Then in 2002, with the forced merger of all on-island suburbs, it was Service de Sécurité Incendie de Montréal, or SSIM.

Except that wasn't correct enough, so now it's lower case, except for Service and Montréal and it's abbreviated SIM again.

No, I have no idea why. :)

Anyway, they've always been good to listen to and despite being on a P25 system, the audio sounds pretty good even across the net. Very disciplined radio procedure and pretty busy. The current feed (as opposed to the ones that were around 8-10 years ago) don't include any of the EMS traffic but that's probably just as well.

Ville de Montréal - Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal - Accueil

Peter,

The PR (Premier Répondant - First Responder) calls on channel C-13 are now broadcast through one of the RR feeds.

HotelSecurity (AKA as Neil F.)

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Early this morning (arround 1 am), SPVM were looking for 2 suspects in a park. I could hear the regular police comm (between officers and dispatcher) but at some point, I was able to hear the conversation that the 911 operator and the 911 caller were having on top of the regular p/o - dispatcher comm. I found that quite interesting! It was like the 911 caller/operator were « conferenced » with the dispatcher. I was able to hear the 4 sides of the conversation. It's the first time I hear this. Was is a button that the dispatcher accidently pushed or is that done in Montréal? Why?

This happens from time to time when they need to get the information directly from the caller because they may have eyes on the suspects and need to guide the cops. Usually it is the guys in the car who request to speak with the caller. I've heard it many times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.