Weird Freq of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am going to try to add a weird freq each day, something I have found via searching, scanning or by CloseCall around Arizona. Feel free to post your own finds here too.

Today's find is 150.000, PL 100.0. This was a CloseCall hit from AZ-85 passing the Lewis Prison between Buckeye and Gila Bend today. It was very obviously a repeater output but I have no idea of the input. It was two guys speaking Spanish and I suspect it might have been sourced from the radio tower located by the water tanks on the hill across the highway from the prison.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 2: Got a CloseCall hit at the Gila Bend airport during a drag race event Saturday, the track operations were using 462.3250, simplex with CSQ discussing speeds measured etc. (One car was measured at 206 MPH, he was cooking right along!)

As an aside, the city of Gila Bend rents the airport out to host drag races on weekends and of course the airport is closed to fixed-wing operations during these events. There was however a helicopter landing during the race events off the field north of the runway. They operated on the Unicom 122.800.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 3: 307.925 was a CloseCall hit from a pair of F35's out of Luke on the way to the ranges north of the Valley. I have not heard this before.

ecps92

Federal could be MARS or something from across the border [MX]
I am going to try to add a weird freq each day, something I have found via searching, scanning or by CloseCall around Arizona. Feel free to post your own finds here too.

Today's find is 150.000, PL 100.0. This was a CloseCall hit from AZ-85 passing the Lewis Prison between Buckeye and Gila Bend today. It was very obviously a repeater output but I have no idea of the input. It was two guys speaking Spanish and I suspect it might have been sourced from the radio tower located by the water tanks on the hill across the highway from the prison.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Federal could be MARS or something from across the border [MX]

It was almost 100 miles from the Mexican border and it was a CloseCall hit so the repeater was definitely located there. It quickly got weaker as I drove north, by the time I got to I-10 it was long gone.

There is a landfill across from the prison and a comm company tower on a hill right there along with some water tanks. It is unlikely that it was MARS or federal. I am too far away to hear it from here but next time I am in the area I will try and record it if active and have my sister translate it for me.

There is also a ORV track there so it might have been related to any of those things.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Today's find is 154.4525, PL 156.7, one of the V-Tac channels. I got a CC hit on this in the Grand & Bell area and it sounded like very informal car-car traffic, don't know if it was MCSO, SPD or EMPD. I have heard this in the area several times but have been unable to place the actual user.

KB7MIB

V-Tac 12?

MCSO deputies use it for car-car. It is regularly used in Sun City. I've also heard it used in the Wittmann area. I don't know about other areas in District III, or in other districts.

Once in a great while, they may use V-Tac 11 or 13.

After the remnants of one of the hurricanes came through in September several years ago, I heard ADOT crews using one of the V-Tacs while checking the underpasses on the 101, such as at Grand Ave/US 60.

I try to keep an ear on all of the conventional interoperability channels from VHF-Low through 800 MHz, because you never know when or where you'll hear communications such as this. I would suggest to every scanner listener that they have them programmed in and monitored 24/7.

John
Peoria

K7MFC

WRAA720
I try to keep an ear on all of the conventional interoperability channels from VHF-Low through 800 MHz, because you never know when or where you'll hear communications such as this. I would suggest to every scanner listener that they have them programmed in and monitored 24/7.

Same here, I'm always scanning the state and nat'l interop channels. I get interesting hits regularly.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is today's tidbit:

Last month at the Buckeye AirFair I got a CC hit on 464.7375, CSQ. The comms were brief so I was unable to figure out if it was a vendor or event staff. I suspect the latter as they were carrying radios that may have been rentals.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 6: I got a CC hit on 464.550, DPL 654 and looked over and matched the hit with a truck from Sunland Asphalt driving thru Surprise the other day. It was simplex truck-to-truck chit-chat. NSFW!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 7: On the way to the grocery in town yesterday I heard several different operations on 462.5625 (FRS) with various PL codes. The most interesting was on a DPL Code (D251) and sounded like someone in an aircraft pointing out locations below. I often hear hunters or wildlife spotters doing this from the mountains in the area but this guy sounded like he was in an airplane. That he was using a DPL code tells me he probably wasn't using a typical bubble-pack radio. I did not hear who he was talking to so they weren't close.

On the same frequency yesterday on the ride into town I also heard several guys in the construction zone here coordinating a crane lift using PL 67.0. Later, also on 67.0 were some kids complaining about being stuck inside due to the rain. Then a few miles away the local Ace Hardware was also using 462.5625 with 67.0 coordinating a customer pickup.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Day 7: On the way to the grocery in town yesterday I heard several different operations on 462.5625 (FRS) with various PL codes. The most interesting was on a DPL Code (D251) and sounded like someone in an aircraft pointing out locations below. I often hear hunters or wildlife spotters doing this from the mountains in the area but this guy sounded like he was in an airplane.

I've observed hot air balloons using FRS/GMRS, maybe that could be what you heard?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Possibly but it was raining out at the time so it was unlikely that the balloons were operating.

One of the operations out near Lake Pleasant uses 462.6250, PL 127.3, I hear them often coordinating pickup and landing operations.

KB7MIB

There's a construction crane in use next to Boswell Hospital in Sun City. Was that was the crane operation that you heard?

John
Peoria

N9JIG

Sheriff
That crane operation I heard was out at the Sun City Festival site 15 miles west of 303. There are several hundred houses being built in 3 separate areas and at least 2 of them have had cranes this week and last. These were the small truck-mounted jobs.

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, today's CC hit is a weird one! I was in the parking lot at HRO (43rd & Peoria) and got a CC hit on 154.585, PL 114.8.

I was unable to identify the user. I only heard a few words and not enough to identify it. I held on the channel for a few minutes and heard a quick follow-up ("I Found it over here Bill.").

I could not find any users licensed for this.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 9: In the car I got a CloseCall hit on 469.500, D125 on the west side of the White Tanks. There were 2 or 3 guys chit-chatting back and forth about mostly nothing in general. These types of hits are pretty common in the Valley but I had no idea who these guys were.

Status
Not open for further replies.