Weird Freq of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

464.500 is one of those business itinerants. I think it can be either simplex or a repeater, so 469.500 could also be either simplex or a repeater input.
But, that also means it could be almost anyone, including any of the home builders out there.

John
Peoria

N9JIG

Sheriff
I was actually closer to the airport when I got the hit. It could have been coming from I-10, I have heard truckers use these from time to time.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Sorry, I forgot to post a freq yesterday. Today's post is 364.200. I get CC hits on this often here as I live right inside the border of a MOA and have F-35's and F16's buzzing my neighborhood all the time coming out of Luke. We get sonic booms once a month or so and it is fun to watch them fly by as I am floating around the pool. I got a hit from the car yesterday coming out of the garage.

I hear 364.200 often with air-to-air traffic, usually very short clipped stuff. This is supposed to be an Air Intercept channel from what I have read.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Doing an internet search, 364.200 is documented as a nationwide NORAD frequency. It has been identified as "AICC Primary" on several pages.

Below is one from the Monitoring Times Milcom blog.

and Radio Reference Wiki:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Sorry folks, been busy! So, therefore I will give a Twofer!

Found one yesterday which I had noted in the past but finally decided to research it. I got a CloseCall Hit on 454.6375 from the White Tanks and it sounded like data. Turns out it was actually DMR and is part of the Fisher Wireless trunking system. Turns out another common hit for me is another channel on that system, 463.900.

I am not real up on how DMR trunked systems work, but it appears that control channels on this (apparently a Con+ system) are also used for voice as the control data on 463.900 occasionally pops up with voice traffic.

ecps92

Hopefully someone near-by might lock on it and report back.

It was almost 100 miles from the Mexican border and it was a CloseCall hit so the repeater was definitely located there. It quickly got weaker as I drove north, by the time I got to I-10 it was long gone.

There is a landfill across from the prison and a comm company tower on a hill right there along with some water tanks. It is unlikely that it was MARS or federal. I am too far away to hear it from here but next time I am in the area I will try and record it if active and have my sister translate it for me.

There is also a ORV track there so it might have been related to any of those things.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, this was a weird one: This morning I had a CloseCall hit from home on 121.525 with a couple guys chatting away about their planes (one a Cessna twin and the other didn't say). It sounded like they were on a cross-country trip, perhaps a ferry trip, and were planning a fuel stop in Blythe or "someplace around the CA-AZ Border" which leads me to believe they were westbound.

It is my understanding that 121.525, .550 and .575 were supposed to be allocated as channel protection for 121.500. I guess they are not actually locked out of aircraft radios however.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Well, this was a weird one: This morning I had a CloseCall hit from home on 121.525 with a couple guys chatting away about their planes (one a Cessna twin and the other didn't say). It sounded like they were on a cross-country trip, perhaps a ferry trip, and were planning a fuel stop in Blythe or "someplace around the CA-AZ Border" which leads me to believe they were westbound.

It is my understanding that 121.525, .550 and .575 were supposed to be allocated as channel protection for 121.500. I guess they are not actually locked out of aircraft radios however.

Right you are, my friend... "The emergency communication channel 121.5 MHz is the only channel that retains 100 kHz channel spacing in the US; there are no channel allocations between 121.4 and 121.5 or between 121.5 and 121.6." Reference 47 CFR § 87.173 - Frequencies

KB7MIB

I would expect 121.425, .450, and .475 would also be reserved to protect 121.500?

Edit: K9DAK commented as I was typing.

John
Peoria

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is today's nugget:

I heard a couple truckers using 156.950, Marine channel 19, as if it were CB channel 19 this morning. One guy was pretty strong and the other was weaker but then got stronger. I suspect they were on US-60 heading towards or from Wickenburg as I am under 10 miles straight line from 60 vs. 17 miles from the 10. These guys were not doing the silly CB stuff but just chatting about their loads, how they would get lunch ("McD's usually let us in") etc.

Living in the middle of the desert I surprisingly hear a lot of traffic on the marine channels. While I am too far away to hear boats on Lake Pleasant from here there are a lot of other users pirating with marine radios. Occasionally I will hear hikers or hunters on the mountain and there is a local rancher that I hear occasionally when his cattle would stray onto our golf course on 157.000. I saw that guy with a Baofeng type radio riding a horse on the golf course chasing a cow, that was pretty amusing.

N9JIG

Sheriff
See if you hear anybody using Canadian trucking channels in AZ. I have been hearing them more often and they don't always sound like Canadians.
I have not heard those Canadian trucker channels here. I will pop them in and see if they are active here. We have a lot of Canadian snowbirds here with RV's and perhaps some of them have these radios.

N9JIG

Sheriff
So here is a tidbit for today:

I was playing with one of the radios and left it in Quick Search. it stopped on several different freqs between 420 and 430, mostly in and around 424 MHz. as links for the ham repeaters on the mountain near my house. One of my projects one of these days will be to map out the half dozen or so that I have found to the repeaters they connect to.

Foresigt

As the member of one of the Ham Clubs that have linked repeaters, please do not post the linked frequencies. Posting them makes them available for people so program in to their radios thus giving them easier access if they want to cause interference and such. There is a reason that they aren't widley published. If you want to find them and keep them to yourself, that's cool. Thanks!

K7MFC

WRAA720
People who really want to cause interference can already do that with the published repeater input frequencies..

Foresigt

You are correct about repeater input frequencies but linked frequencies are a new dimension . I ask again that you be responsible and not post them. FWIW, remember the public safety guys watch thiese groups and these kind of conversations do have an influence on what get's encrypted on their side. I'm sure you will ague that but take it as a fact.

N9JIG

Sheriff
As the member of one of the Ham Clubs that have linked repeaters, please do not post the linked frequencies. Posting them makes them available for people so program in to their radios thus giving them easier access if they want to cause interference and such. There is a reason that they aren't widley published. If you want to find them and keep them to yourself, that's cool. Thanks!
I certainly understand that and that is why I have not done so. I would obviously keep that info to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.