Weird Inquiry - HPII Sticky ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Here's a strange one...

My HPII seems to have developed this infliction where the sides of it are sticky. Nothing has been spilled on it or anything like that, but rather the sides appear to have deteriorated somewhat and are oddly sticky?

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this before?

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Yes. I have an old SanDisk mp3 player with a rubberized back. After many years it became sticky, like something was leeching out.

sws

I have an HP 1 which is 10 years old with the same sticky feel. A cloth with a little alcohol on it usually takes care of it.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
I'll have to try it. Thanks
I sold my HPII (and regret it, great radio). But on a tangent here, I have a Logitech remote control, $300 new. It has a rubber like back and its sticky. I have tried all substances (Alcohol included) and its the same or actually worst. I hope your HPII is not like that.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That sticky issue exists for many HF portables too, not just scanners. Check this out....

Purple Power!

Mike

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I've had several items with rubberized material do that (computer mouse, umbrella handle, etc.), but neither my HP1 or HP2 have done that (yet, anyway). I've read that vulcanized rubber breaks down over time; especially in dry, hot areas with low humidity. My scanners have been indoors (climate controlled), away from windows (UV rays) and in humid environments (near coastal areas).

Cleaning it as mentioned above removes a layer, but you can expect that the newly exposed layer will also do that over time.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
How funny n timely...I noticed the same thing on my mouse at work! No amount of cleaning fixed it...thankfully we have piles of them! Out with the old, in with the new!

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Had a RS PRO-18 with me in Afghanistan for several years. It had the rubberized case and experienced the same problem. Like cpfinlay mentioned....cleaning did help, but the stickiness returned some time later. Always chalked it up to the hot, dry area.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Here's a strange one...

My HPII seems to have developed this infliction where the sides of it are sticky. Nothing has been spilled on it or anything like that, but rather the sides appear to have deteriorated somewhat and are oddly sticky?

I had just noticed the same thing the other day with my HP2... however my HP1 is a couple years older and is fine. Rather irritating considering it's always been used indoors and kept clean, not abused etc. and the HP1 has been in my car most of the past 2 years and hasn't deteriorated.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Truly bizarre. I suppose the weird unpredictable Temps and humidity might be a factor but it's still strange.

Ve3lvv

Here's a strange one...

I have had a few devices suffer the same problem and the only thing that worked to clean it was WD40 on a cloth with lots of rubbing !

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Yep, had Sony HandyCams and Nikon cameras with the same issue. Had to eventually throw them away…

Ve3lvv

I've had that happen to several items, Use WD40 and lots of rubbing with a cloth it will remove the sticky stuff!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've had that happen to several items, Use WD40 and lots of rubbing with a cloth it will remove the sticky stuff!
Or cover it with duct tape. Where would we be without WD40 and duct tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.