Weird noises and altitude announcements ...what is this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know what this is from?? It’s on 462.6115 MHz narrow fm at 6khz bandwidth....I heard it get as high as 2500 feet and as low as 500 Sounds like a old video game and it announces its altitude once in a while. I happen to be outside with a handheld frs radio and came in and recorded it off my rsp1a and discone. It’s on or close to FRS radio channel 3. 20:04UTC in Muncie Indiana...thx

Last edited:

bill4long

Anybody know what this is from??

Well that is certainly intriguing! The ULS turns up three active licenses for frequencies that cover that frequency. The one close to Muncie is in Carmel Indiana. Their ULS entry shows they are licensed for a very broad 450-470 mhz. They manufacture two-way "telemetry" radios. Maybe they were testing some radio and there was just a right RF path from them to you.

RITRON INC
505 W CARMEL DR
CARMEL, IN 46032

Two Way Radios | Transceivers | Telemetry | Ritron Wireless Solutions

Last edited:

kb6hlm

That's a Glider (wind thermal/alt indicator) not sure why it was on that frequency? maybe someone was keying the mic or had some kind of remote device ?

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
That's a Glider (wind thermal/alt indicator) not sure why it was on that frequency? maybe someone was keying the mic or had some kind of remote device ?
Do u know what freq a glider would usually use?? If it happens again, I’ll switch to the gliders normal freq and see if I hear it on there also

ecps92

462.6125 is likely the Real Freq aka FRS

Anybody know what this is from?? It’s on 462.6115 MHz narrow fm at 6khz bandwidth....I heard it get as high as 2500 feet and as low as 500 Sounds like a old video game and it announces its altitude once in a while. I happen to be outside with a handheld frs radio and came in and recorded it off my rsp1a and discone. It’s on or close to FRS radio channel 3. 20:04UTC in Muncie Indiana...thx

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
I know a lot of frs radios drift a lot but at the time of the recording, it had moved to 462.6115 but channel 3 frs was the closest

kb6hlm

Do u know what freq a glider would usually use?? If it happens again, I’ll switch to the gliders normal freq and see if I hear it on there also

Those instruments don't use frequency's that I'm aware of? and its not likely it would be in the FM mode anyway All I know is that your video sounds exactly like one used in a glider cockpit or maybe some other kind of flying machine ? UFO maybe ? JK JK anyway.... I think someone was probably keying there mic

If you want to hear one install Xplane or P3D and download a glider and you will hear the same thing or look gliders up on youtube maybe someone has it on there video ?

I found one the first try check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzOzNtvpEIw dont hear the ALT announcements I know the one I was in years ago had that feature

Last edited:

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
I know it went on for about a half hour at least....I’ll check here and there to see if I hear it again. I know it must have been somewhat close to me cause I had a cheap little uniden frs radio and heard it there first. My adsb system didn’t have anything out of the ordinary on it My property has a lot of trees on so I couldn’t see anything....who knows

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Caught it again today but this time on frs channel 7 at 16:56 utc...been goin on about 20 minutes or so

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
I zoomed in more on this last video so I don’t think it’s someone keying a frs radio cause there’s no ‘carrier’ and it seems to make its own modulation ...just my guess thou

kb6hlm

LOL ya that is strange ! now you got me wondering what the hell is that? weather balloon? it dose sound like its picking up winds just like a glider however but Im not sure now and why is it on that frq ?

IDK

Hopefully someone will jump in here and explain it

Weird is right !

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
LOL ya that is strange ! now you got me wondering what the hell is that? weather balloon? it dose sound like its picking up winds just like a glider however but Im not sure now and why is it on that frq ?

IDK

Hopefully someone will jump in here and explain it

Weird is right !
i watched the glider video you posted and it does sound like what im getting. I have yet to hear it get over 2500 feet in altitude. I submitted it to sigidwiki but havent got a response yet. Just a few minutes ago i had 2 of them going at the same time on 2 different channels giving 2 different altitudes. May have to make a small yagi and go out back with my laptop and at least try to figure out which direction its coming from

kb6hlm

Well you got me going I'm very interested in what that is ? in fact I'm scanning all FRS frqs as im writing this using a Yagi up 35ft looking for anything weird like that so for just a bunch of nuts out there on the radio LOL

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well you got me going I'm very interested in what that is ? in fact I'm scanning all FRS frqs as im writing this using a Yagi up 35ft looking for anything weird like that so for just a bunch of nuts out there on the radio LOL

Ha! Same thing I'm doing including hearing the nuts.

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Well I’ve only heard it on the 462 freqs and not the 467....I’ll leave mine on for a while and I’ll post as soon as I hear it...I seen it at 16:56utc today and 20:00 yesterday and today

Status
Not open for further replies.