Weird question, Anyone have a Uniden CB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyc_tbird_sc

I've got a pro-520XL. It's a nice little unit and works for what I need it for. It also fits inside my truck really well where the ashtray used to be.

pliquett

Uniden is not a big cb radio maker. Top of the line cb's are Galaxy, Stryker, General Lee and Connex. Uniden and Cobra make smaller less powerful radios.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is not a big cb radio maker. Top of the line cb's are Galaxy, Stryker, General Lee and Connex. Uniden and Cobra make smaller less powerful radios.

Where the current models may be this way it was not always. I used to own a Uniden PC76XL that was one darn good radio. If one can be found these days it would be the radio to get fer sure...

bee

President JFK, "15 watts" I believe, that are adjustable! Not made in the USA. It has 240 channels from the "factory". and is over 20 years old, and still works just fine.

whsftbldad

I have a Uniden Grant XL that has been tuned to 8 dead key and 17 swing. Soon to have a D104 Silver Eagle to make sure my audio makes it through.

whsftbldad

By the way, Galaxy Pluto if you can find one for mobile, or possibly a legal Galaxy DX959. A lot of the Galaxy radios weren't legal since they ran a little dirty. Good base Galaxy is Galaxy II base or the 2xxx series.

garikfox

Cool guys....

I went ahead and got a 50 dollar Cobra 19 DX IV :)

I know nothing about them, I figuired a cheap one at first would be better.

I also got a 18ft SO-239 cable and a 2ft. fiberglass top loaded antenna.

Im gonna set it up in my bedroom with a PSU and see if I can reach any of you with a CB :)

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Cool guys....

I went ahead and got a 50 dollar Cobra 19 DX IV :)

I know nothing about them, I figuired a cheap one at first would be better.

I also got a 18ft SO-239 cable and a 2ft. fiberglass top loaded antenna.

Im gonna set it up in my bedroom with a PSU and see if I can reach any of you with a CB :)

Be sure to use a SWR meter and make sure the radio is properly matched to your setup. You would not want to start off in a new area of the hobby and blow the finals in your new toy :D

garikfox

Be sure to use a SWR meter and make sure the radio is properly matched to your setup. You would not want to start off in a new area of the hobby and blow the finals in your new toy :D

I dont have a SWR meter, Not sure what it even is...

I would hurt something if setup is wrong ? can you explain plz ? :)

How hard is it too hook up a antenna to the back, Cant see how I could mess that up, Then again i might, lol

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
SWR stands for standing wave ratio. This makes certain the radio operates with as little of transmit feedback as possible. Yes, if the SWR reading is high you can blow out the finals. The finals are as they sound the final output stage of the transmitter.

Hooking up the antenna is not really what the SWR meter is for. What it does do is make sure that the antenna you hook up is matched with the radio. Some things to consider that help/hurt are:

Ground
Plane
Height
Etc,Etc

Do a google for SWR meter and it might be able to explain more!

Cheers!

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
My brother purchased a bunch of Midland units years ago for his big truck fleet. He lined all the units that quit up in a line on the ground and drove over them with one of the trucks and sent the video to the company: "This is what we think of your CB radios!"

Remember if you purchase a CB and actually use it you will have to learn how to talk like a hick, or "duuuhhhrrriverrrr" (translated: truck "driver") and increase your vocabulary of "colorful metaphores."

Don't be offended if you can't find anyone intelligent to talk to when you do get up on the air!!!

Mark

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I have a PRO 510xl. I can talk to Puerto Rico when skip is rolling with my antron 99. I don't know where you live or anything...I think I saw PSU...not related to Penn State...but...

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
I also have the uniden grantxl and its a great unit and performs well-especially on sideband!!! i miss the good old days with my mag mounted wilson 1000!!!!!!!!!!

garikfox

Woohooo, Just got me a new, TRC-447, Works good out my window as a base station. :)

RS didnt have any Uniden's so I went with the best at the moment, Hope I did good !?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.