SDS100/SDS200: Weird SDS100 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
please forgive me if this had been covered. I did a search & didn't see anything.

I’ve had the scanner for a week and it’s setup and working like it want (even did a road trip with the external GPS)... I was monitoring a P25 system in my favorites & switched to another system favorite. I realized about 10 min later there had not been any activity. I turned the hold channel on and back off and things started coming though again.

I was NOT held on a System/Dept/Channel when things weren’t working but when I held on a channel & released it things started working. This has occurred a couple times. Scanner was locked on the control channel but not decoding anything until I turned the hold on/off.

Thoughts?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There have been incidents where the radio appears to accept a button push command but in fact it hasn’t. I haven’t experienced it but a friend has. At first I chalked it up to operator error but he insists it happened. And he is an experienced ham that is very familiar with the SDS100. My take on the software defined radio is because most operations require momentary switching combined with computer logic, It’s a wonder we don’t have more reported occurrences.

Ubbe

When you hold a channel and then release the hold, it could be a TG or a conventional frequency, it will continue scan. It sounds as if the scanner had stopped on a TG for some unknown reason and wouldn't continue scanning other TG's at that site. A diagnostic log shows that a SDS100 scans 3 or 4 TG's per each millisecond when it receives control data.

It could be that you have a problem with a cold solder joint in connector J401 that cause this problem. Power on your scanner while holding down the avoid button. Release it when you see on the display that it starts to load your programming, it takes 5 seconds.

Now you have a debug function in the scanners menu. Start debug to save to SD card and let the scanner do normal work. As soon as you think it has stopped monitoring again, do the hold on and hold off and if it starts to function again go into the debug menu and turn it off.

Connect the USB cable and fetch the debug files from the debug folder and zip those and attach to your message. It will show in that log if you have a cold solder joint problem or other issues.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
If a department is avoided, the talkgroups will not be received while scanning. You will still be able to monitor them while holding on the talkgroups. Departments can be avoided by GPS also.

Status
Not open for further replies.