Weird weather radio question . . . answer seems hard to come by

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are sent to smart phones (which I don't have.) These alerts include:
  • Extreme Weather and Hydrologic Warnings
  • Local emergencies requiring evacuation or immediate action
  • AMBER Alerts
  • Blue Alerts
  • Presidential Alerts during a national emergency
Does anyone know -- for sure -- if Presidential Alerts during a national emergency are broadcast through NOAA Weather Radio? (Which I do have.)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are sent to smart phones (which I don't have.) These alerts include:
  • AMBER Alerts
  • Blue Alerts
Does anyone know -- for sure -- if Presidential Alerts during a national emergency are broadcast through NOAA Weather Radio? (Which I do have.)

GregOH

• AMBER Alerts
  • Blue Alerts
The way things are going, I wouldn't trust getting alerts on a mobile device.

KB2GOM

Call your local NWS Office. My guess is they are more than willing to help out people in their service area. It could turn into a very AAinteresting conversation.

In fact, I have reached out to them, and they think the answer is probably "no," but they are reaching out to others within NOAA for a definitive answer. I have reached out to them a couple of times during the past couple of weeks on different topics, and you're right: I found them friendly and more than willing to help. Nice folks, actually.

I'll post here if I hear the definitive word from them.

CrabbyMilton

As others have said, such a set up is possible. However, given the internet, social media and 24/7 news networks, by the time such an alert would be ready to air on the NOAA network, it'll be out there. 9-11-01 was a prime example.

spacellamaman

As others have said, such a set up is possible. However, given the internet, social media and 24/7 news networks, by the time such an alert would be ready to air on the NOAA network, it'll be out there. 9-11-01 was a prime example.
ahh but what you are overlooking is "someone" is running out of wide-area-broadcasting options. I believe its now down to NOAA and smoke signals.

or striking up a friendship with Charles Manson, and getting him to tweet stuff thru his account.

KB2GOM

In fact, I have reached out to them, and they think the answer is probably "no," but they are reaching out to others within NOAA for a definitive answer. I have reached out to them a couple of times during the past couple of weeks on different topics, and you're right: I found them friendly and more than willing to help. Nice folks, actually.

I'll post here if I hear the definitive word from them.

I heard from the Weather Service:

It was passed on to me that you had a question on Presidential alerts and weather radio. Presidential Alerts are not able to be broadcast on weather radio. However, there are several other means that Presidential Alerts are broadcast. They will be sent through Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) that is built into most smartphones on the market. The alerts would also be broadcast on TV/radio through the Emergency Alert System.

GregOH

I heard from the Weather Service:

It was passed on to me that you had a question on Presidential alerts and weather radio. Presidential Alerts are not able to be broadcast on weather radio. However, there are several other means that Presidential Alerts are broadcast. They will be sent through Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) that is built into most smartphones on the market. The alerts would also be broadcast on TV/radio through the Emergency Alert System.
Nice to know, may as well try to be somewhat prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.