Weirdness Around Ft Bragg 6/18/2018 7-11PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Some recordings from 2 days ago on 263.1500 around 4-5pm. About 3.5 mins.
I don't know much of what is being said but it sounds cool!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Hl2TNM8yDjmnG5VVWJUMT3HkVGnTZs8/view?usp=sharing

Cool.

What I'm getting is HULKY01/31 (Seymour Johnson F-15s) at 16-17k ft coordinating with ground unit HARDROCK for air support.

COWBOY61 is a two ship of F-15Es at 19 and 20k ft
RESIST flight of F-15s, have higher flight block
COWBOY61 flight is equipped with 6x GBU-54 (laser JDAM bombs), 2x GBU-31 (2000lb JDAM bombs), 8x GBU-12 (500lb laser guided bombs), Sniper targeting pod, rover capable (can transmit images to receivers on the ground), no 20mm guns.

Reading back the information for a 9-line close air support brief.

The 311.575 frequency mentioned is associated with the AR18V VFR helicopter refueling track in the Cherry Pt area. But being used to coordinate between fighter flights when they assume the CAS role.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this thread very good info I am just outside of Fort Bragg also 41.80 is helo control for FT Bragg range control/39.95 is helo test freq for Bragg

spacellamaman

The flight ID indicates that's the Army Golden Knights. It's the former N171AV msn 315 not programmed with a military hex code yet.

i don't know where my brain is, the GKA is why i clicked on it and soon as i saw sierra nevada i completely forgot about the GKA part. Rather large plane for the Knights to be using, i wonder if its actually theirs now or just renting it from sierra nevada.

and nice job on pulling out the HULKY callsign, i am terrible at interpreting stuff and had decided it was HOKIE before i saw your post. Messed up callsigns take up waayyy too much of my time. a while back a c-130 from the PR ANG came by KVUJ, got pics of the tail number and very very clear recordings of pilot and tower saying the callsign. no question, without a doubt, it was RAYGUN78. could find zilch that connected the callsign to the unit. then when that c-130 from the PRANG recently crashed in georgia, i came across a reference to the callsign it was using....RICANxx.

KJ4LZM: if i have my days straight i was picking up similar traffic about 8pm that same day, CAS by F-15E's on 264.6 and 252.525 so that might be worth punching in too. will be punching in 263.15 myself now as i don't believe i have come across that one before.

freqhopping nailed the interpretation and saved you the months i had to spend figuring all that stuff out on my own. fair bit of CAS training done over in my area west of the uwharries, regular military and contractor air units, if you punch in 227.475 you'll catch some more similar type traffic, though there is no telling who or what is or isn't real that you'll hear on it. when i first caught it it was being used by real deal AH64Ds and since then has run the gamut from cessna 337s IDing as MQ-9s to real C-130s, up to and including the previous 2 days, and likely this afternoon as well, by a crop duster :) IOMAX Archangel. if theyre up high enough you today you might catch it cause when they have been or in the bragg area i have gotten weak rx's when they are 5k and up.

also if you haven't already def put in 389.65. tonight is the last night for the excercise i believe and the traffic i have caught on it, i would like to have someone else vouch for it. i dunno what to make of it and it connects to another weird thing i have been trying to figure out. punch it in twice, AM and FM so you can toggle it if you are around the scanner cause its brief and weird.

freqhopping

i don't know where my brain is, the GKA is why i clicked on it and soon as i saw sierra nevada i completely forgot about the GKA part. Rather large plane for the Knights to be using, i wonder if its actually theirs now or just renting it from sierra nevada.

It's theirs. Sierra Nevada does lots of commercial to military conversions for the Army. Most aircraft you'll see registered to them will ultimately go to the military.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
and while i can't say for sure where SBV is (cause i have yet to figure out what aero charts/maps use the FAY RDU SDZ etc grids, and would be thrilled if someone enlightened me) I bet TYI is in the area-ish too

SBV, FAY, RDU, TYI & SDZ are either a vor, vortac, dme navigation system. In the NOTAM SBV113019 is
a point 019 miles from the SBV vor on the 113 degree radial. You plot points or lines on a paper map,
online map or onboard computer map using this type coordinate. Nautical miles by the way. Anyone if
I'm wrong please advise.

Mil

spacellamaman

thanks to both of the above posters. i am just now seeing them. special thanks to millam, i have been trying to figure that out forever, i figured it was something like that but i didn't know how to even figure out what to ask to try and figure it out. much obliged.

Status
Not open for further replies.