well here's one for you.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I got lmr 600 with factory connectors on each end. Well the cable won't fit through the antenna mast to got to a diamond antenna. hmmm any ideas?

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Thought maybe I could get a clamp to clamp the larger mast around the antenna base and see if that would hold it without smashing the antenna.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I think what I'm going to have to do is mount it to the factory mast, then slide that mast down into a larger one and figure out out to secure the two together without damaging the coax by running a screw through it.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'll have to cut the mast all the way down then I could put the cable in and see how that goes, unless there's a better solution.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
what kind of connector is on the lmr600, an n connector or pl259 connector is is aprox 3/4 inch in diameter which should fit the pigtail pipe on the antenna base. pix would be nice.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On many commercial antennas, there is a short whip of cable coming out from the antenna that you'd connect directly to.

That takes the strain of heavy/large coax like Heliax off the connectors.

Just use a 1-2 foot long jumper of RG-8 or whatever you have handy.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
what kind of connector is on the lmr600, an n connector or pl259 connector is is aprox 3/4 inch in diameter which should fit the pigtail pipe on the antenna base. pix would be nice.
It is an N connector. This picture is indoors, but you can see the big black part that is what will not fit.

Attachments

• 20220909_210504.jpg
    20220909_210504.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 57

officer58

Premium Subscriber
On many commercial antennas, there is a short whip of cable coming out from the antenna that you'd connect directly to.

I've actually got an antenna with one of those pigtails. I've got some Lmr 400 I could make a jumper I guess, but I just don't think I'm very good at putting those ends on.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I see there is no soldering when putting on N connectors. Think I'll make a jumper. wonder if I'll have much signal loss.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Well I ended up making a jumper, got the antenna all together , started raining so it's not in the air yet. Thanks for your input.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Just Curious, how did it turn out ?
What was the motivator for getting the 600 over the 400 ?

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Hello, and thanks for your question. Well, I guess wanting to get the best signal I could. My antenna is about 100 feet from my radio . I have a cell tower across the street and power lines . If I moved my antenna to where my radio is, the power lines would be about 60 feet or so from the antenna. Which I wonder how much interference would come from the power lines. They are on telephone poles. The lmr 600 is too thick to go through the diamond antenna connecting tube, so I had to use an lmr 400 jumber to go through that. I had an austin ferret antenna connected to it. Which I found to do a good job especially on state police. Over the past 2 weeks I have switched to a diamond antenna, which does a good job. I've been tempted to move my antenna closer to the radio, but don't want to waste my time if there is going to be a lot of interference from the lines. So to answer your question, to get the best possible signal. Any thoughts on the power lines? I do pull in from 60 miles away, be it a little static. I can understand it.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
As like you I got a little the same dilemma, best location VS signal lost in coax. I did consider the 600 also but the diameter put me off, especially for my coax routing, never considered the antenna mounting pipe issue.