Well I did it !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Waiting for your report.
Well I just went for it. Sitting here wondering how long I will be waiting so I said now or never. Ordered it from Scanner Master. They are about an hour drive north of where I live. Shipping it priority so Radio should be here after weekend. Have Sentinel ready to go with my 6 systems. Hopefully the upload to scanner from Sentinel goes without any issues. So now getting ready for another learning curve.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Well I just went for it. Sitting here wondering how long I will be waiting so I said now or never. Ordered it from Scanner Master. They are about an hour drive north of where I live. Shipping it priority so Radio should be here after weekend. Have Sentinel ready to go with my 6 systems. Hopefully the upload to scanner from Sentinel goes without any issues. So now getting ready for another learning curve.
I live a state further away from Scanner Master than you, about 40 miles from the NY line, and I got my SDS100 from Scanner Master in 2 days.
Yes a pretty big learning curve. Lots of things to play with and tweak. Very sensitive radio. I hear things in your neck of the woods and I'm 100 miles from you at least. Two different Mass. State sites and RI Riscon.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I live a state further away from Scanner Master than you, about 40 miles from the NY line, and I got my SDS100 from Scanner Master in 2 days.
Yes a pretty big learning curve. Lots of things to play with and tweak. Very sensitive radio. I hear things in your neck of the woods and I'm 100 miles from you at least. Two different Mass. State sites and RI Riscon.

View attachment 85254

View attachment 85255

View attachment 85256
Yes! I remember reading a post the you were in and its pretty amazing that you get such good range! Are you out on the coast of southern CT? Living near the ocean is good for reception. I remember when I lived in Westerly RI, we were up on a hill. I used to hear traffic from Long Island all the time. Couldnt get New York City though! But I had a small antenna then. I have to find out what settings to make first on this radio. I read something about a "timer" but have to look the post up again.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Yes! I remember reading a post the you were in and its pretty amazing that you get such good range! Are you out on the coast of southern CT? Living near the ocean is good for reception. I remember when I lived in Westerly RI, we were up on a hill. I used to hear traffic from Long Island all the time. Couldnt get New York City though! But I had a small antenna then. I have to find out what settings to make first on this radio. I read something about a "timer" but have to look the post up again.
Yes the settings are interesting. And those Filters....lol. I found Wide Normal to work best but I'll let you experiment. it's more fun that way!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yes 800 feet from the water and 129 feet above it. Between Bridgeport and New Haven
Wow that must be one of the GOD GIVEN sites!!!!!! Must be nice. I don't get too much distance here. I live a few miles south of Providence and we are up on small hill. I think Boston is the furthest I can hear. Boston Fire, but it comes in weak but perfectly audible.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Wow that must be one of the GOD GIVEN sites!!!!!! Must be nice. I don't get too much distance here. I live a few miles south of Providence and we are up on small hill. I think Boston is the furthest I can hear. Boston Fire, but it comes in weak but perfectly audible.
That must be cool to hear Boston FD. I can hear them only when there is a band opening. Of course FDNY comes in here with "a wet noodle" as they say.
Keep us posted on when you get the radio and if you have any questions. There are a lot of experts on the forums here that I have learned a lot from in setting up my radio.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
That must be cool to hear Boston FD. I can hear them only when there is a band opening. Of course FDNY comes in here with "a wet noodle" as they say.
Keep us posted on when you get the radio and if you have any questions. There are a lot of experts on the forums here that I have learned a lot from in setting up my radio.
So far I have only been able to hear Boston Fire main dispatch and on another channel is an automated dispatch with a female robot-sounding voice. I am getting the Main Dispatch tonight pretty good at 3 "bars" on a BCT15X. Using an OMNI X antenna I just got. And YES I WILL need help and advice with this new rig. My first "hurdle" is to upload the systems I previously made in Sentinel. I have 6 small systems each one has it's own quick key. So I am hoping this goes smoothly. I plan for now using the SDS200 for strictly P25 simulcast. All other analog stuff is in my BCT15X.
Not sure which antenna to use with the new sds200. I am currently using a DPD800mhz mag mount (with BCD996P2) that I put on ground plane up in gutter on roof right above my shack window on 2nd floor of house. It works VERY well. I also have a Diamond Discone which is up the highest so I might use that but I dont need much height for the Rhode Island RISCON system. So I will probably be on here asking for help pretty soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.