WELL...................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

well i downloaded the newest update from uniden for my 996p2 and now the unit is just sitting there scaning away but not picking up nothing. checked everything i can think of but just sitting there scaning for about 12 days now and nothing. i have 11 systems selected, and nothing, nothing, nothing. so what happens now ?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Try a weather search. If you don't receive any weather broadcasts, if you are lucky you'll have an antenna or antenna connection issue. If you are unlucky, your scanner may need repair. Transmitters too close to a scanner can damage the "front end" of the scanner due to overload. Same can happen if static electricity comes in on your antenna (such as a spark when connecting the antenna).

kmi8dy

scanner was working fine ( i have owned it for about 1 1/2 years, bought it new ). was working up and until i programmed in the new update. un plugged cabel, turned off the scanner, turned scanner back on and since then nothing......................................................................

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the above does not resolve the problem, which is the next thing I'd try.

Note the frequency of the received weather broadcast, go into your scanner's programming and add that frequency to one of a conventional system's groups and see what happens.

If you do not receive the weather broadcast that way, I'd suspect one or more of the following:

System Quick Key(s) disabled
System set to locked out
Group Quick Key(s) disabled
Group set to locked out
Site Quick Key disabled (if scanning trunked system)
Site set to locked out (if scanning trunked system)
Channels locked out

Once you have determined which of the above is/are the culprit(s), then you can delete that weather frequency. With WX being a constrant transmit, it's a good diagnostic tool because you don't have to wait for a "regular" channel to transmit.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Are you scanning conventional channels or only trunked stuff?
I would try backing up one firmware version with the BC_VUP3 installer and see if that fixes it.

chris

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Delay should typically be 2-5 seconds, depending on the average time between transmission on the channel. If you set it too short, the scanner will resume scanning before the other party has a chance to reply. If you set it too long, the scanner will loiter on a dead channel unnecessarily.

Threshold depends on the system you're monitoring. Use Auto unless you have trouble, then you'll need to choose Manual and try different settings until you find what works best.

Hold time should generally be set to zero, unless you are having issues with a system. If so, setting it to 1-2 seconds will force the scanner to loiter on the control channel longer and hopefully miss fewer reply transmissions.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Site attenuation is another setting to experiment with also if you are listening to a simulcast system.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
For what its worth, and the experts can chime in, but perhaps you need a new SD card??

greggk

Premium Subscriber
That's WHY I am NOT an expert. I try hard...just usually wrong. LOL. :confused:

Thanks for the correction. :) Greg

oneadam-12

If everything worked fine for about 1 1/2 years and all you did was download the newest firmware which is 1.07.07 and now nothing works go back to 1.07.06 and see what happens if you are still having problems with the 1.07.06 firmware then I would troubleshoot from there and there is no sd card just the home patrol series have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.