Wellbrook ALA1530 Active Loop Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

Hello i need some help in finding out from people who own the Wellbrook ALA 1530 how much difference did the antenna receive when it was outside tried the Wellbrook inside the radio room but not picking up much except some aero frequencies 8867 13261 i guess maybe to much electrical power points and about 20 receivers and if i use thick cable like RG-213/Belden-9913 which i do use on my vhf/uhf antennas will it make a difference also how will i know if the antennas is working at all according to Andy i need to buy a regulated linear 12 volt 300ma-500ma power supply and that was also confirmed when i rang him.

Regards Lino.

brandon

Database Admin
Hi Lino

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I am sure you found the answer already but in my experience taking the loop outside makes a huge difference. Inside the building its next to impossible to receive anything due to computer/router noise. Moving the loop outside away from the house the noise level drops down and signals can be heard well. Last night was a good test during the CQ World Wide SSB contest. I monitored the 160 metre ham band on my Icom R75 and heard stations from St Maarten, Virgin Islands, Hawaii and Galapagos Islands from my location in southern California using the Wellbrook. This is exciting to me because this band was previously impossible to hear due to local noise, but now they are very quiet.

I also been able to hear the furthest point of the globe from my location which is the Indian Ocean region. Around 1300-1400z it can be possible to hear the MWARA AFI-5/INO-1 from my QTH in southern California. The other morning I could pick up several ground stations just above the noise on 5634 kHz; one of them likely Mauritius, Brisbane and another unknown. Here is a 5634 kHz audio clip in case you want to see if it can be identified. I'm sure folks with large yagis mounted at 100ft will laugh at my excitement over a weak signal, but to me its thrilling considering the distance involved, how small the Wellbrook is and low to the ground it's mounted. :)

73 and good DX!

Status
Not open for further replies.