Went from the old School Scanner world to BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0NYF

And now im totaly lost...I know that these questions are asked probably all the time but, i tryed to search and it was always off a bit.

Queston 1, I have downloaded the free software from Uniden, and also Performed the firmware update on it. I purchased a cabe to use my fatory harness to usb..and all was working fine but took the recommendation of most members on here and down loaded the ARC396 software. From the download of the newer and better ARC396 software now my computer does not find the scanner and now I cant download anything to the scanner.

Question 2, In general for APCO 25 what is needed to program, I just not understanding what to do. Im just use to selecting a channel that I want to save a frq. to and hitting save, all this is new to me and I dont want to get discouraged by this new sanner.

Thanks

Greg

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well for the first question. The first and most common problem here is the computer is reading the cable on the wrong COM port or you don't have the correct COM port set in the software.

Check the device manager, find the COM ports and see what port the computer has assigned to the cable. If you move the cable from USB port to USB port, it is very likely the COM port number will change.

Secondly, there are two types of P25 systems. Full blown (like the VA Stars system) or (and I forget the term) mixed systems. Basically transmitting a P25 signal, but not a true P25 system (many DOD 400 Mhz system like Langley AFB are these kind). In the system notes in the DB, if the system type says P25 rather than Motorola 'some designator', it is a full blown P25.

For the truly full P25, you will need to select the P25 selection from the menu. For the hybrids, program as a regular trunked system.

I'm not sure how to the do this with the ARC 396 software, but I am sure there is a check box to pick the system type.

n2mdk

Did you make sure to turn it on in the scanner itself and set the baud rate as well.

Viper43

The baud rate has to match both in the computer and the scanner. So if you 11580 in the scanner you have to have it on the computers port as well.
Did you DL the drivers for the cable?

V

KC0NYF

I did get it to connect again to the bearcat software and got some stuff on there all it tells me is that there is nothing to scan........this is so fustrating...im starting to think I should have never purchased the sanner. As far as the ARC I still can not get it to connect to it.

Viper43

Check around and see if anyone has a file (UASD) for your area for the 396, load that file and see if it works before giving up. The Minnesota system I believe has files on the 396 Yahoo group so you may find what you need there, just not sure they have the UASD file.

Instead of the Butel software which is known to be flakey you can try Freescan and BCTool, both work and they are FREE!

V

KC0NYF

^^Thanks, I will search for that suff im just a bit mad that the ARC stuff is not connecting to the scanner. Programing my ICOM V8000 was way easier then this.
Update...I understand why the ACR software does not work, I have the serial to usb and the ACR software does not work with the converter from the serial to usb

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
ARC396 works with any USB/serial converter cable, just make sure you installed the most up to date driver for it and that the driver is compatible with your Windows version. If the driver is up to date and PC comms in the scanner is enabled use the software Autodetect option.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

KC0NYF

Yes i have tried the autdetect option, set rate an all of that still will not connet to ARC396. I have down loaded bctool,was able to download the Info that I need for MN. But still nothing, no alfa tags,its just in search id or scan id mode, picking up nothing. I live in the metro area downloaded the freq. and tags....etc and nothing...

KC0NYF

Thank you for all your help...after taking a rest of trying to figure it out for 6-7 hrs I was able to connect and figure out the files for my area..now just need to figure out some orientation of the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.