were to buy gear in MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetme

Were is there a good shop that can spoon feed a total newbie on what to buy and how to set up the right kind of scanning gear to pick up MPLS PD and ST paul PD? I'm in the metro. What should I be looking to spend on a fair to middle portable unit?

After I get the scanner gear then it's on to shortwave.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion your best bet is to get the scanner online where it is cheaper and then come to this board for assistance. Some of the radio shops around here will charge an arm and a leg to program a scanner and sometimes the personnel there can be somewhat intimidating to the newbie. Also i would highly suggest that you keep an eye on this board for the next scanner meeting. That is a group of guys from this and another board that get together locally to talk about scanners and help each other and answer questions. This is a great place to get questions answered face to face at no cost and everyone is usually very willing to help out.

stmills

You need a scanner that does 9600 baud APCO 25 trunking to get Minneapolis or St. Paul. The list of choices is fairly short:
Radio Shack Pro 96 & 2096
Uniden 296,396,796,996
GRE PSR 500&600.

I would second the idea of buying online and looking to this site for assistance in getting going.

Steve

cetme

thanks again for the help folks I'll keep a weather eye out for the next meet and great, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.