west coast low band skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
This question is for the east coast members... any low band stations on the west coast (CA, OR, WA) that come in frequently? I made a group of all the CHP low band frequencies and stuck them in my base scanner which is on 24/7 and connected to a roof antenna, to see if I can get anything. nothing so far. I've heard it is entirely possible to receive some stations from there on a good day.. I have received stations from about 2/3 across the country but hoping to finally hit the coast.

reconrider8

I was picking up stations last week up in New England from nc great but I havnt heard a kick out of chp in a while. I'm wondering if they are still operating on lowband

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
This question is for the east coast members... any low band stations on the west coast (CA, OR, WA) that come in frequently? I made a group of all the CHP low band frequencies and stuck them in my base scanner which is on 24/7 and connected to a roof antenna, to see if I can get anything. nothing so far. I've heard it is entirely possible to receive some stations from there on a good day.. I have received stations from about 2/3 across the country but hoping to finally hit the coast.

A helpful tool for low band skip is the MUF ES map for North America at dxmaps.com (you'll have to click a few tabs to get to it, start with 'VHF & up'):

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php

The MUF ES map gives a good indication of where the summer sporadic E clouds are located. To receive CHP from the east coast you'd need to see a lot of 40 and higher indicators on the map over much of the mid section of the US. I've checked the map quite a few times in the last few weeks and the E clouds have almost always been confined to the U.S. southeast and mid-Atlantic states, occasionally drifting as far west as Iowa or so. I haven't seen a pattern that looked good to me for coast to coast lo-band propagation. I can receive CHP pretty well from Oregon when the E cloud pattern is right, but I haven't seen that yet this season. I haven't been watching constantly either though.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You'll need a good lo-band antenna too for any hope of receiving CHP. Single hop Sporadic E only extends out to maybe 1400-1600 miles, so CHP would be a double hop. A loop or a dipole cut to 40 MHz would be good choices. Most current scanner antennas are not designed to be efficient for lo-band because very few public safety agencies operate there anymore.

Sporadic E enthusiast
PGMAN89, two weeks ago I got about 30 minutes of some CHP. :) Around five years ago when I had more time to listen, I regularly received CHP here in NC when the E's made it possible. I crafted a dipole using 10 gauge audio cable and junk RG6. I cut the dipole for 33.4, so I only monitored CHP 39MHz. You may wanna put 39's in the banks if you haven't already.

Another station that was a regular was WQJW689 33.42. located in Sammamish, Washington. Do not know if it still broadcasts.

After six years the antenna has the ugly green looking cable :)

Attachments

• sound king 10.jpg
    sound king 10.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 278

mm

46.42 MHZ Fire pager channel is still very active in YAMHILL COUNTY OREGON, Southwest of Portland.

There are also some logging ops on 44.34 MHZ and a utility contractor who operates in the 48-49 MHz range still using vhf low but none of these others are as active as 46.42MHZ which is a very busy pageout frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.