West Hartford 166.25 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard anything on 166.25 MHz? I caught a transmission this morning at 6:50 AM but could not identify who it was I was hearing. It was very short. Kieth Victor has noted the frequency would be off the air for a time but would be back after West Hartford completes the move to their new system.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Working fine.
The 166 is all the FD traffic, but the EMS patch, 463.6250 74.4, is fire dispatch only. For me, 166.25 is poor at my house and the UHF is very strong. Not sure where the UHF is but the VHF (and the trunk site) was moved from up a bit on the WFSB tower to low on the WCCC tower (or on the building) on Rt 44 11 years ago. When that happened I lost reception here in Granby.

chris

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Chris. I was parked at the old five corners on Rt 6 in Farmington (Birdseye Rd., pretty much atop Rattlesnake Mtn.) and what I heard was kind of weak, causing me to think it might have been a band opening given my location. But it was probably the WHFD patch coming from who knows where they put the antenna after the new system was up and running... I bet (given what sounded like a weaker signal) it’s now either lower on the WCCC tower or on the building. I will ask Keith about it and get back to you.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Working fine.
The 166 is all the FD traffic, but the EMS patch, 463.6250 74.4, is fire dispatch only. For me, 166.25 is poor at my house and the UHF is very strong. Not sure where the UHF is but the VHF (and the trunk site) was moved from up a bit on the WFSB tower to low on the WCCC tower (or on the building) on Rt 44 11 years ago. When that happened I lost reception here in Granby.

chris
Kieth replied when asked about antenna location “Same spot, hasn't changed, just P25.”

I thought it was a conventional VHF High band channel? What’s Keith mean by P25?

a417

it's no longer FM modulated voice, now it's a Project 25 digital data stream that gets decoded into voice.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Kieth replied when asked about antenna location “Same spot, hasn't changed, just P25.”

I thought it was a conventional VHF High band channel ? What’s Keith mean by P25?
It is a conventional VHF High band channel I just herd it on the air. I think people chimed in that didn't read this was about the 166.250 analog channel.......... not the new P25 trunk system that is on the same spot on the tower as the old trunk system

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The question was posed to Keith Victor as the 166.25 MHz frequency. I asked Keith if there were any changes relating to where the antenna was mounted after West Hartford had completed upgrading their comms system. Keith replied the location had not been changed but it’s now P25. I believe as you do, that it’s still analogue however, not digital.
I was just looking for clarification on what Keith meant by P25... is the 166.25 MHz freq part of a larger system? I doubt that so I wonder what he meant. I guess I will ask him to clarify.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
P25 is the modulation, and it can be either conventional or trunked. If Keith says that 166.250 "is now P25", then he means that the modulation has changed from analog to digital (P25), while remaining conventional (standalone repeater, non-trunked).

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
P25 is the modulation, and it can be either conventional or trunked. If Keith says that 166.250 "is now P25", then he means that the modulation has changed from analog to digital (P25), while remaining conventional (standalone repeater, non-trunked).
What I heard was an analogue signal. My SDS200 has 3 options, All, Digital and Analogue. The channel has been set to analogue since before West Hartford started their changeover to their new system... which makes me think if it were a digital signal I would not have heard anything but noise. But I was able to understand the transmission with the radio set to analogue... confusing. I’m still waiting on a reply from Keith...

cg

Premium Subscriber
He may have misunderstood you. The old Motorola system is gone and the P25 trunk system is the only TRS in service now. The analog 166.2500 is in service with the same 167.9 PL.
The antennas were moved during or around rebanding in 2009. I retired from WHFD then and was out of the area for 5 months. When I got back it had been changed.

From that Rt 6 location, it wouldn't surprise me if there was interference from someone on the CH61 towers (or just a bunch of strong RF) or if you are in enough of a divot on Rt 6 there where the ridge to the north blocks things, that could be an issue too.

chris

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
the 166.25 freq is very much in service. It’s analog but it repeats the 800 MHz system kind of like how the 460.6250 in Wethersfield does. The people I’ve asked no problems have been noted.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I asked Keith this “I don’t know what you mean by P25? My understanding was it’s (the 166.25 MHz a single channel repeating the FD audio in analogue.” His response was “Yes with a P25 mobile connected to a 166.25 radio.”
So, I’m still not getting it... my assumption has always been this type of rebroadcast was simply taking the the audio from an external speaker jack of any system, it matters not digital or analogue, and rebroadcasting it, in this case over an analogue VHF High band frequency. Why Keith even mentions P25 is confusing the issue. Perhaps he is reading more into my question than was intended?
Going forward, I will set up my SDS200 to receive 166.25 in Analog Only.

APX7500X2

His response was “Yes with a P25 mobile connected to a 166.25 radio.”

Going forward, I will set up my SDS200 to receive 166.25 in Analog Only.
That is correct, he took the old Motorola analog 800mhz radio attached to the 166.250 radio away and replaced it with a 800mhz P25 radio attached to the 166.250 radio...because West Hartford has changed to P25
The audio alone from a speaker output would not be able to cause the 166.250 radio to TX, something has to key it, in this case COR from 1 radio keys the other to pass audio. Just like the 154.310 Hartford fire audio
lots of places in NYC are using the same to put old analog radio over a turbo system until all the people on the system can buy new radios. (in analog-out turbo and vice versa)
100s of fire chiefs cars in LI used to have a low band CDM1250 and a UHF CDM1250 tied together to make a poor mans mobile repeater, they were doing it with M400s and Maxtracs back in the 90s, very common. I have seen a VHF maxtrac in ham band tied to a UHF in ham band to cross both at a mountain top site...some are still running in VHF out UHF and vice versa

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I got it. My description of how it gets connected was for clarification. I should have prefaced it with “Its like”... Thanks for spelling it out though... youve written correctly and concise... something I never mastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.