West Haven FD - Poor reception

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
As of late the signal am receiving from West Haven FD has a fair amount of static and is "choppy" (breaking up intermittently). I Reside in Woodbridge near Seymour Road (#67) and for some time have been using a Diamond D3000N Discone for local reception. Yes, I do take foliage attenuation into account. But, even when mobile, let's say, Milford, reception is static and choppy. Is the WHFD system in its death throes in anticipation of using the federal government grant for a significant (?) system upgrade? Or is this the federally funded upgrade result?

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember always having scratchy and spotty reception of them.
But your right, as of late it seems to have gotten worse

CentracomGold

Premium Subscriber
WHFD, very poor reception on channel 1, a little stronger on channel 2 but still noticed their signal has degenerated in the past month. WH is in a clear shot across the harbor from me & I never had a problem monitoring until mid June

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
You would think that after West Haven having hired Rick Fontana formerly New Haven's Emergency Services Director as their new Emergency Services Director he would be on top of improving, inter alia, radio communications. This is not to mention the quality of FD dispatchers which sound as if they would rather be doing something other than dispatching emergency services. Folks, Ya' gotta hear it yourself to believe it.

apex8_

Maybe this explains why the feed on broadcastify is practically dead. You can’t hear anything other than tones even with maximum volume. Has been like this for a month. Also has been talked about a bunch on Facebook groups as well as reported to the broadcaster but no fix unfortunately yet. Heavy working fire right now and the feed is dead silent….

CentracomGold

Premium Subscriber
You would think that after West Haven having hired Rick Fontana formerly New Haven's Emergency Services Director as their new Emergency Services Director he would be on top of improving, inter alia, radio communications. This is not to mention the quality of FD dispatchers which sound as if they would rather be doing something other than dispatching emergency services. Folks, Ya' gotta hear it yourself to believe it.
The only thing Fontana cares about is if he gets his face/name on/in the news. Since he left New Haven, "Car 42" only transmitted 2 times on the air compared to 6 or 7 times a day when he was in the city of elms

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Didn't take long for him to get drawn into the West Haven mindset of "gimme my check and leave me alone" and "make no waves, got it?".

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
During the last few days, reception (signal strength & clarity) throughout the West Haven area and its environs has improved. Atmospheric conditions? and in the same vein, the quality of dispatch has improved. Actually sounds somewhat up to APCO standards, rather than.."I would rather be somewhere else, Yawn".

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Interesting: On Wednesday I had to travel through Cheshire and to my surprise, WHFD came with a strong signal. Anomalous reception?