West Haven Police going encrypted 8/23/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
The PD in West Haven is going encrypted today at some point. The following is a post from the Chief to the public via the West Haven PD facebook page. While being an avid listener and living in town, I can fully understand and to an extent agree with the reasons the Chief is implementing this. Does it cut my ability to know what is going on? To an extent but I am not going to get into that. If I have to stop listening to the PD then so be it. In our present climate, the police are targets everywhere. If it comes to my being able to listen to someone coming home at night....Take the channel. I know that some may not agree with that but if you sit back and really Think about it, it does make sense and safety. Don't be surprised if Police Departments trend this way.

West Haven Police Department
1 hr ·
On August 23rd, as part of our new radio system implementation, the West Haven Police Department will be operating on an encrypted channel. This means all police communications will no longer be able to be monitored by the public . I recognize that there are many citizens of the city that enjoy listening to the police calls on their scanners and that others feel it is important for transparency in police operations. There were several determining factors that went into the decision making process. First and foremast is the safety of our officers. We know the “bad guys” monitor our channels and they know where we are, and perhaps more importantly where we are not! We live in a post 9/11 world where incidents and threats of terrorism are a reality. Add to this the active shooter scenarios and recent threats to kill police officers. The ability to dispatch our police officers, communicate and coordinate these operations effectively; it only makes sense to utilize encryption.
Encryption will also protect the integrity of our investigations. Open radio communications coupled with social media have led to reporting detailed circumstances regarding police investigations that would only be known to the officers investigating the incident (number of shots fired, shell casing, weapon type and caliber, vehicle and suspect descriptions, including witnesses). This information broadcasted is being monitored and then put out on Social Media almost in real time of the events occurring.
Encryption will also protect sensitive information including names, dates of births, license numbers, and addresses of individuals including complainants, witnesses, and others who have contact with the police.

In regards to transparency in police operations, this agency will provide transparency through our Department’s web page, crime analysis data, community meetings, WHPD Face Book page and our Public Information Officer.
I considered all of the above as well as having discussed the matter with officers of various ranks and positions in the department and made the decision to utilize encryption.
As always thank you for continually supporting your Police Department.
Best Regards: Chief John Karajanis.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Get Ready, cause here they go

Yes 12:30 this afternoon they will be switching over. They will be losing the "good guys" like us where our extra eyes and ears have helped in countless occasions. But that argument can go forever as it has on these boards in the past. :roll:

Technoguy58

We have given in to fears of terrorist and unlawful ungodly people. Fear comes from the evil one, not God. I don't agree with this. I think people posting info on social media should be prosecuted. My 2 cents.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Here is an idea, don't put that info over the air and learn radio policy and discipline.

New London has quite a few shootings and they do put info over the air, none of which would compromise an investigation.

Encryption, more and more, inhibits the ability to effectively communicate with other agencies. CSP cruisers can no longer monitor West Haven PD, New Haven, Orange and Milford can no longer monitor the department they share a boarder with, EMS can no longer listen for info that is helpful to them. They just shut them all out.

When departments like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles are able to operate in the clear, without any intentions of going encrypted, places like West Haven going encrypted, while New Haven with a higher crime rate, stays in the clear, that is just someone wanting it because they can have it.

CycleSycho

:( This 'Chief' is applying a protectionistic policy that one-sidedly stinks of hiding something. All his reasoning will cost a LOT of $ (for not only local funding but also neighboring agencies) AND may actually hurt inter-agency cooperation agreements. What actually is this guy afraid of? If it is for 'protecting' his officers, then his solution is in error. Filtering all this PUBLIC information through PA mouthpieces, is giving a well deserved atmosphere of a cover-up down the road. The PUBLIC has a right to access, encryption infringes on that right. The frequencies licensed by the FCC to this organization responsible to the PUBLIC must be open to third party supervision. How many times does public radio monitoring contradict an 'official' release? In this jurisdiction, this 'Chief' insures accountability is kept out of the public interests. BAD decision, and I hope public advocates bring a lawsuit to this action. If not immediately, then after an accusation of a cover-up. The use of the frequencies assigned are for PUBLIC service, encryption of said signals contradict this application. :(

sefrischling

OK forget the chief's comments on terrorism, which is exactly when he does not want encryption due to the vast number of external resources his department would need at that time ... to put this in more perspective, here are the crime stats for West Haven over the past year …
Murder, 0
Rape; 0
Robbery 44
Assault 101 (I believe 53 of those were domestic)

So where are all the caliber weapons and shell casings calls he is discussing?

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
This may be one of the references to shots fired - 3 arrested on drug charges in West Haven shooting investigation | WTNH Connecticut News - and I can tell you that info regarding this was all over social media while it was going on. I'm not saying I am for encryption I would still love to listen but if that comes at a person losing their life then I can live with not listening. They actually made the switch at 1:00 pm. Also, it's not like those listening including myself won't know whats going on

sefrischling

You think that incident on the 13th was it and they went encrypted in 20 days?

The info that was all over social media, which I had seen, and seen in other incidents elsewhere, do not compromise officer safety. Knowing suspect descriptions, vehicles, that is good info to get out there, Knowing caliber weapon and shell casings, that doesn't do anything.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
They could just keep a channel for secure traffic. Must be another salesman lining their pockets.

MrAntiDigital

When the Bridgeport Police did this it hit me hard. No doubt one of the busiest police channels in the state. I monitored them all the time when I lived there and later as I visited at least once a week.

Criminals have ways of notifying each other when the need arises. A look out might drive by and blow his car horn two or three times. Or drug dealers in some hallways have a lookout pull the fire alarm to say the police are here. And nobody is carrying a scanner in their back pocket.

Bridgeport had a shooting just the other day in which 13 (?) people were shot. In my buffing days, that would certainly be one call that I would take in hearing it on my scanner. As I go there I see a car drive by me meeting the description of the one just broadcast over the air. I have a cell phone and a quick call to dispatch and I tell them, "I think that car just drove by me heading.........".

Now, what if that car meets the description of a car suspected in the shooting of a police officer. Thankfully it doesn't happen that much. But what if it was and it happened in West Haven.

This hobby is No LONGER what it used to be, I don't care what kind of scanner (s) you have. I also agree that this is the trend and this trend will keep going on. As it does, all anybody can do is just "Write it off".

As a Dinosaur who did this night after night, I can tell you "what a Great hobby it WAS". Seeing life as it really is in the streets taught me much more than any book could ever do. I really got a great amount of respect for the officers out there protecting each and every one of us. Most people have NO Idea of what is really going on out there.

Some of the police officers got to know me and once they did, word spread that "this guys on our side". NO more of that though.

I actually feel sorry for those who really never had the chance to enjoy this hobby. It was inexpensive once you got a scanner and it certainly was exciting. It got so busy at times that calls were backlogged 2-3 hours, even longer.

I can not completely blame the West Haven Police Chief for the way he feels. But that doesn't really help our cause. It only hurts it. We can talk about all the latest interoperability trends and the latest scanners with thousands of channels. It won't really matter in the long run as our society adapts to the newest ways.

Over the last few years I have lost some of my favorite scanner channels. Because of this digital or encrypt thing. I easily heard them loud and clear at my home in Norwich before (Providence FD and New London PD and FDs) as well as the Bridgeport Police which I listened to faithfully whenever I was in the area. Add to that many very busy PDs and FDs in the northern New Jersey area outside NYC.

Taxpayers are paying for the right "NOT" - TO LISTEN TO THEIR CITY/TOWN POLICE DEPTS. These new radio systems are NOT being set up for FREE. We are all paying for it.

leadjammer

West Haven Police Going Encrypted 8/23/16

With one of the highest mill rates in the state I think the town could have found something better to spend their money on. It really does stink and I just don't see the need. Was there a public hearing on this? Has the mayor voiced any opinion. Does he know about it?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
With one of the highest mill rates in the state I think the town could have found something better to spend their money on. It really does stink and I just don't see the need. Was there a public hearing on this? Has the mayor voiced any opinion. Does he know about it?

And to top it off the PW has gone P25 with a new system too. Not cheap. At least they are not encrypted.....yet. LOL

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
You think that incident on the 13th was it and they went encrypted in 20 days?

The info that was all over social media, which I had seen, and seen in other incidents elsewhere, do not compromise officer safety. Knowing suspect descriptions, vehicles, that is good info to get out there, Knowing caliber weapon and shell casings, that doesn't do anything.

I'm not saying that incident was the reason. There were plenty more before that. That incident is one of many. I was using that as an example. Within minutes that incident was all over social media

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Don't get me wrong. I listen and I would love to listen. Maybe, just maybe the PD will put a channel up like some places where you can listen but they can flip a switch and stop you from hearing the sensitive stuff. It's not that hard

garys

Premium Subscriber
As they said in Blazing Saddles, that's pure frontier gibberish.

When a small town with a low crime rate decides to encrypt their radio traffic, I have to wonder what they are hiding.

I have relatives that lived in West Haven and know what the town is like. It's not exactly the south side of Chicago.

sefrischling

As they said in Blazing Saddles, that's pure frontier gibberish.

When a small town with a low crime rate decides to encrypt their radio traffic, I have to wonder what they are hiding.

I have relatives that lived in West Haven and know what the town is like. It's not exactly the south side of Chicago.

Come on ... in a post 9/11 environment, as the chief stated, the bad guys are going for soft targets. Everyone knows that West Haven is a soft target. But you know, let's forget that should there be terrorism in West Haven, with all the interagency operation that need to occur, cut off communications monitoring of asssting agencies is key to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.