West Memphis Arkansas State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmicha

I realize this is a Tennessee forum but I'm trying to find out if there are any Memphis listeners picking up the Forrest City Troop of the Arkansas State Police. I'm picking up their Control Channel and have programmed the TGs but am not receiving any traffic. I guess I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is. I have it programmed just like MPD. Just curious. I like to listen to them during bad weather.
Thanks.
Ron

ke4ppj

I can listen to them only in the downtown Memphis area.....anything East of downtown I can't get the CC to pick up. Also...the few times I've listened there is not a lot of traffic...it takes a while to hear something.

ronmicha

West Memphis ASP w/ Uniden 796D

Sorry. I should have included that I'm using a Uniden 796D base unit with a discone "all-band" antenna mounted in the attic. Also use a BC396T with standard rubber ducky around the house. Still haven't heard any Talkgroup traffic at my house but still getting the control channel. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear something that can be confirmed.
Thanks.
Ron

safetyobc

I have read several people report very poor signal in West Memphis. Don't know why ASP would properly cover that area? Perhaps they will add a tower to the AWIN system in the future for that area?

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
I have read several people report very poor signal in West Memphis. Don't know why ASP would properly cover that area? Perhaps they will add a tower to the AWIN system in the future for that area?

If I'm not mistaken, they have a tower in Shell Lake which is about 12 - 15 miles to the west.....straight down Highway70.

safetyobc

There is one there. I wonder why the signal is so poor in West Memphis?

According to FCC, it has an output power is 100 watts which should give plenty of coverage? Can it be a directional tower? Blocking the Memphis side? Don't know if that is possible?

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I think we need to get Prince Mongo to check the settings on his trans-galactic communicator....his comms to Zambodia may be causing interference with ASP.

Attachments

• mongo2.jpg
    mongo2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,064

Gatorman

I have a 900 MHz yagi at 75'. I am approximately 10 miles east of the river. I have pointed it at Shell Lake and hearing nothing on any of the channels. I have also tried to hear the CC in Forrest City. Nothing there either.

My yagi is fed with hardline so my loss is fairly negligible. It is a mystery.

Gatorman

I don't iknow if it is actually active or not. I was just advised, or figured out, that it was the closest AWINS site to me. I plugged in whatever was in the database and aimed my antenna in that direction. Heard zilch.

ronmicha

I'm sorry but I keep finding info that I should have posted in my original post regarding Forrest City ASP reception in West Memphis. The frequency I'm receiving is 866.100 which is not listed as a primary or secondary control channel. I'm leaving it in until I hear something and will let you know. I'm still receiving it and have the talk groups entered but not receiving anything intelligible. It's listed as Shell Lake (Troop D) in the RR database along with the others listed below. I'm puzzled.
Ron in Memphis

Shell Lake (Troop D)*
856.41250*
866.17500*
868.46250*

safetyobc

Maybe the control channels are wrong in the DB. Do you have all the frequencies for that tower programmed in? Or just the CC plust the 866.1000?

Gatorman

I will point the yagi at Shell Lake again and see if I can hear any of these freqs.

ronmicha

Breaking News. ASP West Memphis & Forrest City

Tonight I picked up 866.175 first on West Memphis City--I have it programmed there too. Then, few minutes later picked up 866.175 as ASP-Forrest City. It was definitely conversation with encryption noise on and off, back and forth--not squelch noise. I double checked. Still unable to pick up understandable conversation traffic. Someone mentioned making sure my system was set as full APCO-25 9600 not 3600 like Memphis. But I don't see how to do that on the Uniden 796D or 396. All I see if Type 2 800mhz. It appears I'm close enough to pick up a signal but can't understand it. If someone can help me set my radios for the 9600 baud system, I might be able to get this problem solved.
Ron

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
I was downtown at the river on Monday and put in 866.17500 and could puck up the tower fine. This was at the riverfront. I didn't hear much traffic though, a little bit of Troop D dispatch and another one, not sure of it though.

ronmicha

Still Trying To Receive Ark State Police in Memphis

I’m still trying to receive Arkansas State Police in Memphis and refuse to give up. Here’s the latest. Last night I was receiving their De Valls Bluff (Troop D) Control Channel of 866.18750 but couldn’t understand it since it’s APCO 25 9600 baud digital. I’ve programmed all the talkgroups listed on RR. I’m in ID SCAN mode because I listen primarily to Memphis and know their talkgroups are working. Not sure I know how to do it but tonight I’m going to put ASP in ID SEARCH mode and see if maybe they’re using a talkgroup not listed. Think that might work? I’m definitely getting a strong signal and I think I know enough about scanners to know it’s a digital signal. My Uniden 796D that I’m using is set to Type 2 Motorola, Control Channel Mode “ON”, using the Butel ARC250785 software. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Ron

safetyobc

ronmicha said:
I’m still trying to receive Arkansas State Police in Memphis and refuse to give up. Here’s the latest. Last night I was receiving their De Valls Bluff (Troop D) Control Channel of 866.18750 but couldn’t understand it since it’s APCO 25 9600 baud digital. I’ve programmed all the talkgroups listed on RR. I’m in ID SCAN mode because I listen primarily to Memphis and know their talkgroups are working. Not sure I know how to do it but tonight I’m going to put ASP in ID SEARCH mode and see if maybe they’re using a talkgroup not listed. Think that might work? I’m definitely getting a strong signal and I think I know enough about scanners to know it’s a digital signal. My Uniden 796D that I’m using is set to Type 2 Motorola, Control Channel Mode “ON”, using the Butel ARC250785 software. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Ron

Is there a setting on the 796 for a P25 system instead of Mot Type 2?

ronmicha

No Setting for P25 on 796

No, There's not a separate APCO 25 setting on the 796--just Motorola Type 2. I understand there is a separate setting on the 396 but I haven't tackled that yet. I'm going to post my message on Yahoo Groups on one of those 796 boards to see what I get back.
Thanks.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.