• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

West Mountain Radio ISOpwr+ (Plus) Auxiliary Battery Isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I drive a 2011 Ford Fiesta with a battery that’s just big enough. The problem is when I have my gear on and start the car, the voltage drop causes the radios/scanners to restart. Would this device help prevent that? For the battery I was just going to use some small 12v battery. It just needs to power everything until the engine starts.

Mr_Boh

Yes. That's not priced terribly, but there are plenty of solutions for auxiliary battery isolation ranging in price, typically tied with battery capacity and features. You can also roll your own solution with relay/solenoid that only allows power to the auxiliary battery while the ignition is on so that if you for some reason have devices attached to the battery that are not controlled by ignition, it won't kill your primary.

That just costs more because it's an off the shelf solution with fuses and a little more "intelligence" in the circuitry.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Yes. That's not priced terribly, but there are plenty of solutions for auxiliary battery isolation ranging in price, typically tied with battery capacity and features. You can also roll your own solution with relay/solenoid that only allows power to the auxiliary battery while the ignition is on so that if you for some reason have devices attached to the battery that are not controlled by ignition, it won't kill your primary.

That just costs more because it's an off the shelf solution with fuses and a little more "intelligence" in the circuitry.

Thanks. I’m not the most electrically inclined plus space is premium in the car so the more compact everything is, the better. This and the battery will be wedged under the passenger seat.

Mr_Boh

Yeah, so you will be trading the higher cost for the features. I mean just over $100 MSRP isn't hateful for something that lets you go in with a computer and program exactly what is considered "low voltage" and other thresholds for the power transfer.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
The linked product does not state that it will protect against engine start issues. It might be too slow to respond.

This one will do what you want;

nah, because everything is on the auxiliary battery until the main electrical system hits the threshold then the unit ties everything together. When you kill the engine, the unit cuts everything to the auxiliary battery.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It just needs to power everything until the engine starts.

This will do what you want:

A little more pricy than some of the other options, but it's got everything you need, including the battery. Amazon doesn't have the best price, you can shop around and find it cheaper probably.

Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
This will do what you want:

A little more pricy that some of the other options, but it's got everything you need, including the battery. Amazon doesn't have the best price, you can shop around and find it cheaper probably.

perhaps but that’s too large for my car. Idk if you’re familiar with fiestas but they are very small cars. I have at best 3-4 inches of verticals space under the seats and and 10x10 in horizontal space. Plus the battery in the car is sized just enough to start the car. If you leave anything on for more than 20 minutes, it can discharge enough that it won’t fully crank later to start it so with the original thing I posted, I can take use the scanners/radios without touching the car battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.