West Orange EDACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Anyone else notice bad reception on West Orange EDACS since mid-week? I am one town over and I have 1 to 0 bars.

ansky

I live in West Orange and reception is generally pretty bad to the point where I rarely listen anymore. On top of that, sometimes the dispatcher audio is so low it is almost inaudible (mobile units sound ok). I did notice last week that I completely lost the control channel. A few minutes later it came back and the PD and FD units were calling into dispatch for radio checks. So clearly there is something going on with the system in general. Makes you wonder how much longer they can stick with this antiquated radio system.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I live in West Orange and reception is generally pretty bad to the point where I rarely listen anymore. On top of that, sometimes the dispatcher audio is so low it is almost inaudible (mobile units sound ok). I did notice last week that I completely lost the control channel. A few minutes later it came back and the PD and FD units were calling into dispatch for radio checks. So clearly there is something going on with the system in general. Makes you wonder how much longer they can stick with this antiquated radio system.
Yes, last week I heard w/o call on county fire that they had a radio system failure. Itnwas resolved quickly as you said. Hasn't been the same since. My feed is in bsmt and just got an audio complaint. Can't do much about zero reception.

boxcom

Feed Provider
I'm hearing West Orange EDACS fine in Rutherford. Full bars on my BC780XLT. Just responded to a medical at the Shop-Rite Parking Lot. BTW is Engine 4 using their Arrow XT? Is it back from repair?

markjrenna

The signal is strong... The audio is scratchy. Sounds like they are 20 miles away and not 1 mile away. It should sound much better like all the other analog towns in my 10 mile radius that I listen to.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I will have to check my scanners, I mean it was all of them. I have them in multiple spots and they were just terrible. No bars in office - No signanl in bsmt - no signal in Living Room. Would be werid it was that bad even on radios that not connected to the same antenna's.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
WO TRS is 5X5 in Livingston
Seriously?

I am on the roof antenna, handheld antennas, back of radio antenna's and getting 1-3 bars very inconsistent.

I have been following/hosting WO for years and I have had times when signal is this bad, and this is one of those times. Normally, I have no issues with WO, but since the outage last week locally it is crap. Now I have had a few others even in Passaic county tell me 5x5 and that is crazy.

Perhaps they lost a tower at the of the hill by me, but, not sure where you are located and hearing it that well.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Seriously?

I am on the roof antenna, handheld antennas, back of radio antenna's and getting 1-3 bars very inconsistent.

I have been following/hosting WO for years and I have had times when signal is this bad, and this is one of those times. Normally, I have no issues with WO, but since the outage last week locally it is crap. Now I have had a few others even in Passaic county tell me 5x5 and that is crazy.

Perhaps they lost a tower at the of the hill by me, but, not sure where you are located and hearing it that well.
I am by Livingston Mall, Full signal strength...and Sds 100 in the car by short hills mall, strong signal

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I am by Livingston Mall, Full signal strength...and Sds 100 in the car by short hills mall, strong signal

That's crazy. Not sure what happen up here. If you get out over the next day or so... take a run by the main post office and see what yo get in the car. I probably will have to head out to the fire house at some point, if I do I will test my reception in the truck.

I finally cut off 20' + of excess cable, but everything else is working find, not to mention feed scanner is on stock antenna and has been for years w/o issues.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
And today, in time for their fire, the signal was just back - 5 bars strong, portable, car, etc. I have not seen that in my area in a week. Happy to have them back. Should clear up my "reception" issues on my feed.

ansky

And today, in time for their fire, the signal was just back - 5 bars strong, portable, car, etc. I have not seen that in my area in a week. Happy to have them back. Should clear up my "reception" issues on my feed.

This may just be coincidental, but I have noticed that whenever they are using 853.6625 as the control channel I generally get poor reception of the system in general. I noticed they are now back to 853.325 as the control channel so that may be why you are seeing improved reception.

richee2000

This may just be coincidental, but I have noticed that whenever they are using 853.6625 as the control channel I generally get poor reception of the system in general. I noticed they are now back to 853.325 as the control channel so that may be why you are seeing improved reception.
I have seen that issue on many trunked radio systems. Sometimes the control channel signal is weak and it throws off the entire system.

ansky

I have seen that issue on many trunked radio systems. Sometimes the control channel signal is weak and it throws off the entire system.

Yeah I agree. I just find it odd that there is 1 specific frequency that always seems to cause problems. They all transmit from the same place.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
How does one tell which is the control channel? Excuse my ignorance on that. I am listening direct to both of those channels and loud and clear (did that just to see if I could tell).

The irony was that others reported no issues. I had a friend in West Paterson area, 5 bars... me in Livingston, nada!

richee2000

on the SDS100, and sds200, the control channel is indicated , except when you are in simple display mode.
on some other scanners, put in each channel, manually, and you can hear which channel contains constant data sound.

The WO transmitter site is on top of the first WO mountain, Mt Pleasant and Prospect, 600 Ft above sea level, and has direct line of site going northeast, east, and south east. But, Livingston, to the west, is behind the Second WO Mountain, and could present some signal issues, it is not line of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.