West Suburban Directed Gang Enforcement (WEDGE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
WEDGE includes Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park, Berwyn, Riverside, North Riverside, Lyons, Brookfield and Stickney. Any ideas on which frequencies this multi-jurisdictional operational task force is using?

teufler

just an idea, but look at commercial repeaters in the area. if they are not encypted, no one listens to commercial repeaters and they usually cover a large area. Years ago, in Memphis, the Drug Task Force used our companies 800 mhz systems. It was pretty secure in that it was not listened to much, business owners had talk groups that were not compatable and they had a priority 1 on use of the system. We didn't charge the Drug Task force any monthly charges, we got some city tax breaks. I think the force was using mtx1000 radios.

radiomanNJ1

and people wonder why police want to encrypt - why dont you just tell us why publishing the freq info would be helpful - like the gangs - and they are violent - really could use the info to know when '50' is coming to the hood

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber

and people wonder why police want to encrypt - why dont you just tell us why publishing the freq info would be helpful - like the gangs - and they are violent - really could use the info to know when '50' is coming to the hood

radiomanNJ1, Thanks so very much for your concern. I believe we all should be aware of what's going on in and around our neighborhoods. Im pretty sure there is such an App for that. I also believe if it isn't encrypted its fair game. Anyone with a decent scanner is able to monitor these frequencies if they are in the clear. Besides, I highly doubt theses sophisticated "gangs" take time out of their hectic schedule to utilize these specific forum threads the way we use them for information/hobby purposes only.

teufler

PART OF THE FUN IN MONITORING AND SCANNING IS THE THRILL OF THE CHASE. Radionamnj1 has some valid concerns too. I have prepared a map of the locations or cities. They are all very close, so even simplex could work. Only one of the cities has uhf equipment, rest have vhf equipment so this would be the place I would search on. The vhf tac frequencies would be a place to start.

Attachments

• Map2D_1.jpg
    Map2D_1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 377

RADIOGUY2002

Okay, most of these towns are on the cook county node of starcom21 system. The system runs full encryption. I would have a tendency to believe that their is a talkgroup on that system for such activity. Simplex would be rear but possible. All the players except for berwyn were traditionally vhf. Oak Park / Forest Park have had a tac channel for some time that i think has a repeater attached to it. This repeater allowed for encryption even before starcom21. And nextel or the new version of it by sprint or zello for that matter are more suitable allocations. Do a little homework and you'll narrow down your possibilities. In the old days their was a group called mcat, not sure of the status but its functions were similar in nature.

RADIOGUY2002

Also, if you look at one of the pictures it looks like he has two radios on him. Judging from the pictures the of the radio mic it could either be uhf or 700/800 mhz with the style of the antenna. Same thing goes for the portable on his hip. Also, note his phone in his vest with the mini to short antenna a indicator of nextel format. Do homework if your that interested, it called intelligence for a reason. Sorry, but this is exactly why encryption is being pushed. Do not ask in a open format about what frequencies feature encryption for specialized groups, you jeopardize their safety. Know everyday operations should be in full open mode, their is nothing to be hidden.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Alrighty then with all that intel displayed and said, Only 3 out of the 11 municipalities currently dispatches with UHF frequencies, 4 of which have fully transition day to day operations to the county node lined to SC21. Elmwood Park is currently in the process of taking up the Sheriff's offer to join. The rest are Dispatched via antiquated VHF equipment. Most if not all agencies are utilizing APX 7000 series equipment which are Dual Band. VHF and 7-800Mhz seem to be the most common in the western burbs. All of which still retain several side band/tac frequencies using both simplex and repeaters, Including old Dispatch Freqs which have active licenses. Not to mention all the statewide interop channels ISPERN, IREACH, ESMARN, 155.370 P2P & V-Tac, U-Tac, I-Tac Frequencies...

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
WEDGE is also comprised of members of the County's Sheriff's Investigators. U.S. Marshalls, often assist with raids along with DEA and ATF Agents. Makes sense that would utilize ENC Talkgroups. Still interesting though...

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Heard Forest Park WEDGE acknowledge on the weekly county's interop radio test from both Interop 2 (453.950, 141.3 PL) & VHF Interop 1 band (154.995, 107.2PL). Forest Park Disp is handled by WestCom (154.845, 162.2 P)L and side band Tac 5 (151.370, 432 DPL). WEDGE officers have radios that share a frequency, thanks to a $120,000 grant, and a database so they can share information. Sergeants from Forest Park and River Forest run the day-to-day operations.

teufler

look up the frequencies on starcom21, input the repeater input frequencies, if you live close to the cities envolved. Youi will hear simplex easily if you can understand that at all. If they are encypted, for get it. Best I have done is put in a search range, in Freescan, then virtual mode and run all night, Then review in the morning. Several nights of this, a pattern can easily be seen. If you monitor inputs rather than output, the signal strength will be a tip off that something is goingv down in the neighborhood. ..

RADIOGUY2002

bingo

look up the frequencies on starcom21, input the repeater input frequencies, if you live close to the cities envolved. Youi will hear simplex easily if you can understand that at all. If they are encypted, for get it. Best I have done is put in a search range, in Freescan, then virtual mode and run all night, Then review in the morning. Several nights of this, a pattern can easily be seen. If you monitor inputs rather than output, the signal strength will be a tip off that something is goingv down in the neighborhood. ..

And Bingo was his name-o................................

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
Oak park sideband tac channel

Forest Park PD has a repeated sideband frequency of 151.3700 432DPL. Is there another repeated sideband frequency for Oak Park PD other than 156.1800 which is already listed in the database? --_Feliz Navidad!

Status
Not open for further replies.