West Virginia University Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4OM

Premium Subscriber
Attempting to load this into a gre-400 for a friend in MGW.
Does not want to go.
No talkgroups listed in radio-reference.com
Is this the reason?
Is this system in use.
High-band even.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Attempting to load this into a gre-400 for a friend in MGW.
Does not want to go.
No talkgroups listed in radio-reference.com
Is this the reason?
Is this system in use.
High-band even.

The VHF-Hi trunked system is NXDN trunked. It will do no good to program it into a scanner. And that is also why there are no talkgroups listed. It's not possible to monitor the trunking control channels for activity, not even using DSD, since DSD does not support the monitoring of NXDN trunked.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Need confirmed information for this system

If there is anyone down near Morgantown / WVU who happens to have a BCD436HP or BCD536HP with NXDN support, or who has a Whistler scanner capable of NXDN, or who is skilled in using DSDPlus, please consider monitoring the WVU trunked system.

In the DB it is listed as an LTR system with NXDN voice. I highly doubt it is LTR with NXDN voice. It's either NXDN48 trunked or its IDAS Type-C or Type-D. The only way we can correct the DB is to know exactly what type of system it is.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6820

First you'll want to determine if there is a 24/7 control channel active on one of those frequencies. If there is 24/7 control channel activity on one of those frequencies, it is either a NEXEDGE48 Type-C or IDAS Type-C system. If there is no 24/7 control channel, then it is either an NEXEDGE48 Type-D or IDAS Type-D system.

Somebody with the ability to monitor the frequencies (especially control channel, if one exists) can easily identify the type of system by monitoring the control channel and/or voice channels.

If you have a BCD436HP/BCD536HP with NXDN added to it, just program all 7 frequencies in as an NXDN Trunked System, set up a quick key and enable the system for scanning, and then use the LCN Finder to find all of the relevant LCN information for the system.

If anyone is within range and has something capable of monitoring NXDN but needs help, just make a post and I'll certainly try and help you out the best I can.

As the system is entered into the RRDB right now, it's not going to work for anybody who might import it into their NXDN-capable scanner. It would really be great to be able to get a definitive answer regarding the system type and LCNs (channel numbers).

Mike

minviri

I have this programmed into my trx1 as a nxdn(c) system. If I remember correctly it does have a control channel that rotates every 24 hours between all the channels. It has been a while since I have actually listened to it so my memory may be sketchy. I'll be in Morgantown this eve and will confirm.

minviri

Okay so that was correct.
nxdn c with a rotating control channel every 24 hours.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Okay so that was correct.
nxdn c with a rotating control channel every 24 hours.

Thank you very much. I've updated.

We will need to know the channel numbers (LCNs) for each frequency. If you are using a TRX you do not need that (nor would you likely be able to determine that via the TRX). But that information is needed for Uniden scanners.

So if there is anyone out there who can run DSDPlus on the system and determine the channel numbers in use, that would be appreciated.

I've updated the system to be an NXDN48 trunked system. TRX users should be able to simply import it via the RRDB. Uniden users will need to import it and then run LCN Finder (and then report LCN finder results).

Also, I know you say the control channel rotates every 24 hours -- and I do not doubt that. But I would like to determine if EVERY frequency participates as a control channel at one point or another ,or if only a certain subset of frequencies are control channels.

Thanks!

mike

minviri

Okayyyyy..... a week or two with dsd and I finally have LCNs and info about the control channels. I can't hear this from the house so whenever I'm in Morgantown I take the sdr setup with me. Kinda slow on traffic when I'm around. Anywhooo......

I haven't confirmed channel 1 yet for a control channel but channels 2-7 have been controls.
If and when channel 1 becomes a control I will update.

L116-1

1 150.9200
2c 153.7025
3c 151.9100
4c 152.3375
5c 152.8625
6c 153.0800
7c 153.4025

Thank you very much. I've updated.

We will need to know the channel numbers (LCNs) for each frequency. If you are using a TRX you do not need that (nor would you likely be able to determine that via the TRX). But that information is needed for Uniden scanners.

So if there is anyone out there who can run DSDPlus on the system and determine the channel numbers in use, that would be appreciated.

I've updated the system to be an NXDN48 trunked system. TRX users should be able to simply import it via the RRDB. Uniden users will need to import it and then run LCN Finder (and then report LCN finder results).

Also, I know you say the control channel rotates every 24 hours -- and I do not doubt that. But I would like to determine if EVERY frequency participates as a control channel at one point or another ,or if only a certain subset of frequencies are control channels.

Thanks!

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
1 150.9200
2c 153.7025
3c 151.9100
4c 152.3375
5c 152.8625
6c 153.0800
7c 153.4025

Thank you. A buddy of mine up in Carroll Co Ohio took advantage of good tropo ducting over the past few weeks and had figured out Ch 2 - 7 (which he also noted were all cycling as control channels). That left 150.92, which we suspected as Ch 1 but couldn't confirm that -- we didn't know if it was active and we needed the Ch # or if it just wasn't part of the system.

I've updated the DB for Ch 1.

Now all we gotta do is have some people actually monitor the system with an NXDN capable scanner or two-dongle DSDplus setup and get talkgroup info / descriptions. Not sure how active it is in the summer -- but certainly I would expecct it to be pretty active when school is back on.

Thanks again

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.